The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

8 month old from puppy farm - should I avoid?

merlinmight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone - looking for a bit of urgent advice. :ermm:

We're looking for a Cavalier King Charles and found one that needs rehoming / for sale.

He's a beautiful loving 8 month old tricolour boy in West Yorkshire. His owner has had a relationship break up so there isn't always someone there, so he needs another home.

I've been to the house where he lives, seen his vet paper work (and rang the vet personally), spent an hour or so with the dog, all good. Got his certificate of pedigree from the DLRC (but I know that's pretty self governing). He's been neutered and had all his vaccinations - looks great.

BUT, most importantly on his Dog Lover's Registration Club docs, he's come from a puppy farm, from what I understand it's the biggest in Wales.

The puppy farm is licensed (I think) to keep 196 dogs. I know puppy farming is horrid and I would never buy direct from a farm like that - but this guy is 8 months old and seems to be in great shape. He's sociable with other dogs and children, just a really loving nature.

However, knowing where he came from - should I walk away? With 8 months of clean health behind him, and a wonderful loving nature, should I still be worried about his future health and temperament?

It's really hard to not just take him but I need to do my due diligence first!

Tough one!

By getting him now you would not be encouraging the further breeding at these farms. The first owner did that :(

Health and temperament would be the next worry. You have checked his temperament and you are satisfied about that.

Many of the health issues do not become apparent until later in the dog's life. The only thing you could do is to get him checked by a vet and discuss all the possible issues you may be facing.

Any of these issues could arise in a dog bred by a more reputable breeder of course. The best thing we can all do when buying a puppy is to support the breeders who are trying to eradicate the awful health issues that some breeds are prone to.

As I said. A tough one.

Thanks gypsysmum2 - all good points. I spoke to the dog's vet and his last healthcheck was fine, he was castrated there and all his post op check ups have been fine too. He is bigger than other Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and I'm pretty sure there's a bit of Springer in there somewhere, or it could just be that the commercial breeder doesn't put priority on keeping that breed's traits. I think the current owner is genuine and caring - and like you said any pedigree could show up health issues later in life........ Perhaps I'm tempting fate by getting one who's breeding hasn't been the best. We're just after a family pal. (needs to be that breed for my wife's allergies though).

Thanks again.

Would you buy a car from me? I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, it's a ford focus 1 year old and you can have it for £1000... What you say? Have we a deal? Spit on your hands and let's shake on it.

Would you buy a car from me? I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, it's a ford focus 1 year old and you can have it for £1000... What you say? Have we a deal? Spit on your hands and let's shake on it.
That's very helpful, thanks. Day started early?

Try actually reading the post next time.

Why ask then.. Ok uuuurm wouldn't touch with a barge pole, u touchy thing you, didn't think I'd said much wrong .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have rehomed dogs with much less info than you have on this one....in fact I have rescued dogs with zero information so personally I would but everyone is different.

Many thanks. Another issue is I'm being asked to part with £650 for him, so basically I'm paying pedigree whack for a puppy who to be honest doesn't have any real traceable history at all, other than DLRC paperwork which I'm told is practically meaningless as it's just what the breeder has stated. In this case he has (at least) 196 dogs on the go.

Ouch! Most rescue societies ask for a donation in the region of £100. I, personally, would not pay that kind of money for a dog that needs a good home. Whilst I agree that dogs should never be "free" there is a limit. Why not ring one of the breed rescue societies and ask their opinion on the amount being asked?

Ouch! Most rescue societies ask for a donation in the region of £100. I, personally, would not pay that kind of money for a dog that needs a good home. Whilst I agree that dogs should never be "free" there is a limit. Why not ring one of the breed rescue societies and ask their opinion on the amount being asked?
Thanks. Might do that.

The dog in question is a very reluctant sale and she's looking for the price she paid for him plus her vet costs up to now. I've said we'd consider him for a nominal donation along the lines of what a rescue home asks, which is a very different proposal!

Cheers

Merlinmight, now that's what I'm on about geez £650, walk away and find somethink else , I paid £70 for my brindle in my avatar, first two months he was a bit unsure and 14 years later I'm proud to say he gave me so much love and pleasure in the fields hunting his prey that it was the best £70 I've ever spent, R.I.P rio lad.

The money is the sticky issue with me. If its so hard to part with the dog and a good home is the most important thing why does she expect to be reimbursed for cost and bills? Bearing in mind ive been in a very similar situation and i think "desperation" came in to play especially once we'd been to view him. Reasonable excuses were given for the dog at the time and i was happy to overlook them. Im not as green as i am cabbage looking when it comE to dogs but once we got him home OMG. In your situation maybe she should consider shes paid for the pleasure of the puppy stage, shes paid for a dog which has their trained behaviour which settled into their lifestyle and by no means is the dog considered old and can be taught new tricks as it were if god forbid expensive time consuming retraining is needed qhy should you pay twice.

Back