The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

5yr old spaniel no longer going through the night

StanleyC

Registered
Reaction score
We have a 5 year old spaniel cross who was very easy to toilet train. He has been going through the night since he was a pup until recently when he now wakes us in the night for a wee.

He wakes us between 3.30 and 4.30am by scratching at the back door (pleased about that) so we've been letting him outside to pee. However, we are now wondering if he's got into the habit of waking at this time and we're struggling to get him out of it. We are also struggling to get a decent nights sleep because of this.

We are of the opinion that he should be able to go through the night without needing a wee. On some occasions, if we don't hear him until the last minute, he comes back up to bed and settles without needing a wee. He has also been letting out his silly 'give me attention' bark lately, if we don't jump out bed straight away which leads me to believe it's more of a habit thing.

He doesn't seem ill in any way so I don't think he has any water injections as he has suffered with these before and we know the symptoms - he tends to keel over when he has a wee and there has been none of this.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could 'undo' this new behaviour?

Thanks a lot

Jo

Hi you should join Dogforum.com.

This site is dead! :ermm:

Back