The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Who Can Tell Me About Wirriers??

whippetlove

Registered
Reaction score
..we have one but wanted to find out more. All I know is they are bred up North for hunting ...usually whippet x with a terrier (boarder terrier? or any type of terrier?)...our wirier is fantastic to live with..great recal, loyal,faithfull, loving and out on a walk no trouble at all..runs like the wind, graceful and fearless. Oh and if he does happen to catch a rabbit..he brings it back to me and drops it at my feet..I havent taught him this!!!..he just does it...!! :))

whippetlove said:
..we have one but wanted to find out more. All I know is they are bred up North for hunting ...usually whippet x with a terrier (boarder terrier? or any type of terrier?)...our wirier is  fantastic to live with..great recal, loyal,faithfull, loving and out on a walk no trouble at all..runs like the wind, graceful and fearless. Oh and if he does happen to catch a rabbit..he brings it back to me and drops it at my feet..I havent taught him this!!!..he just does it...!! :))
Wherriers as their name suggests is any dog thats bred by crossing a whippet with a terrier. The most common cross is the Bedlington Terrier X Whippet most of these dogs are usually very game little dogs due to the combination of whippt and terrier in them.

they're not only bred up north, although they are suited to working the smaller fields up north.

what's the breeding of the one you've got and what is it you want to know about them ?.

Cheers

OBE

Our Wirrier dash

Dash2.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

Jus wondered what you thought his mix is beddlington? His coat is very fine and soft

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi OBE sorry forgot to write this above.. also my friend is looking for a wirrier as a companion and second dog for his boarder terrier, he was considering a jack russell and then decided a wirrier would be a good combination..said I would find out for him but dont know where to start re pointing him in right direction!! Our dash was a stray who came from the pound so we have little history on him as we got him from a rescue. :)

i have a fox terrier x whippet.

Shes ace :D

best lil dog ever, shes works, does agitlity and obedience.

My Lupin is a beddie whippet and a better friend you couldn't have :wub: also Flax is a whirrier altho as she's a rescue I'm not entirely sure what her mix is but she's a little darling too :wub:

There is a whirrier boy looking for a home over on Lurcherlink currently being fostered in Herts/Essex area.....will go and get link.

Here you go... http://www.lurcher.org/llink/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23701

Lupin was bred in Cornwall & Flax came from Limerick so whirriers certainly not confined to northern counties ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your feedback...yes have seen the one on lurcherlink..will give my friend the details.... :)

Back