The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whiffy!!!

becpeters

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I was just wondering what everyone uses to eliminate the smells in their gardens of doggie wee wee's as I normally use a product which is cherry based called check deodoriser but finding it quite expensive to buy now the warmer weather coming and sat out in the garden over the weekend and remembered I must put a post on to find out :blink:

Any suggestions or home made findings that I don't need to be a chemist to make would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

i dont have too much of a problem just having the girls . elliot dosent often cock his leg so i still class him as a girl :D

i do though once a week in hot weather have an old watering can and dilute jeys fluid in it and sprinkle it over the patio , it takes a while as its a big patio but sweetens the place up and also keeps nasty bugs away too :D

Putting a little Tomato juice in their food helps the odour :- "

becpeters said:
Hello

I was just wondering what everyone uses to eliminate the smells in their gardens of doggie wee wee's as I normally use a product which is cherry based called check deodoriser but finding it quite expensive to buy now the warmer weather coming and sat out in the garden over the weekend and remembered I must put a post on to find out :blink:

My parents have this problem they use a product called either jays fluid or J's Fluid. You need to dulite it in water. But the smell of it is strong! it's only about £3.00 a bottle i think. Good Luck :luck:

Can't you just hose down the area to dilute it? I have to say I've never noticed doggy pee leaving a smell :unsure:

I use a patio cleaner from b&q, diluted in a bucket of water then scrubbed with a broom. This would make the yard smell really nice except Lenny always pees up against the shed or the gate post which tends to hang onto the smell a bit more! Our garden is tiny but the smell isn't a problem so I'd give this cleaner a go, not too expensive as it comes in a massive bottle :D

moriarte said:
I have to say I've never noticed doggy pee leaving a smell  :unsure:
(w00t) I wanted to say that too Elizabeth, but I had to wait and ask a friend if my garden smelt in case I had just become acclimatised or something :b :- "

Turns out we're odour free :sweating:

I suppose some dogs must just have stronger smelling urine than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
TC said:
(w00t) I wanted to say that too Elizabeth, but I had to wait and ask a friend if my garden smelt in case I had just become acclimatised or something  :b   :- "
I suppose we might be ponging the neighbourhood out but be too bunged up to notice :b My mother always thought our house stank of dog pee when I was growing up; no one else could smell it (but then for years she thought we had a gas leak which no one else could detect, including many gas engineers :b )

I've noticed that on our patio slabs pee doesn't seem to soak in, but just sits there in a puddle for ever; Gelert always goes on the gravel, it sinks straight in and there's never any smell there but the puppy always does it on the nearest slab. I hose down this bit of path regularly just to keep the mud off and have never noticed a smell.

I have a potentially very well-stocked and pongy poultry yard, with a patio slab base. I just scrape it and hose it down, I never disinfect it as I don't want the run off polluting my veg garden and again, I've had people comment that they are surprised it doesn't smell.

Having done a quick Google, some people recommend vinegar and baking soda to neutralise urine smells, might be worth trying especially if you have plants around the area tha might be damaged by strong bleaches

Last edited by a moderator:
I make a solution of non bio washing powder/liquid and wash slabs down with stiff brush...then quick rinse with fresh water :- "

i always use biological wash powder, as the enzymes in it break down the smell completely

I don't notice a general dog-pee smell in the garden (we have a gravel area where the dogs pee - they prefer it to the grass) but Zoomie cocks his leg on an old large up-turned bucket and I noticed yesterday it honks!!!!!! :sweating:

I'm going to pour a biological washing liquid solution over it because that kills the smell (although it would probably kill grass?) :thumbsup:

zilloot said:
I don't notice a general dog-pee smell in the garden (we have a gravel area where the dogs pee - they prefer it to the grass) but Zoomie cocks his leg on an old large up-turned bucket and I noticed yesterday it honks!!!!!! :sweating:
I'm going to pour a biological washing liquid solution over it because that kills the smell (although it would probably kill grass?) :thumbsup:

I cannot believe Zoomie would do anything so crass as cocking his leg up a bucket Zilloot ! Shame on you for telling such outrageous porkies :lol:

urchin said:
zilloot said:

I cannot believe Zoomie would do anything so crass as cocking his leg up a bucket Zilloot ! Shame on you for telling such outrageous porkies :lol:

:b yeah you're right... it must be some other half-pint dog that sneaks into the garden during the night and unpacks it's 'Make it Smell like Zoomie Pee' kit and spread it about and spray it on the bucket....

Zoomie uses the bog like everyone else and flushes it too... of course (w00t)

Ooooops meant to say biological powder for dogs (w00t)

Non bio for our washing :- "

Whip me and make me homeless for being a numpty (w00t)

zilloot said:
urchin said:
zilloot said:

:b yeah you're right... it must be some other half-pint dog that sneaks into the garden during the night and unpacks it's 'Make it Smell like Zoomie Pee' kit and spread it about and spray it on the bucket....

:lol: :lol:

zilloot said:
urchin said:
zilloot said:

I think you'll find he uses the LAVATORY as befits a gentleman of his refined demeanor ..... and i'll bet that he puts the seat back down too :lol:

Back