The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Where Are All The Sloes?

2backs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! Hope you are all well? Ive just returned home from a walk with Blade my Beddie/whippet cross. Thought we would go and check to see how the sloe berries are doing and i couldn't find one!!!!!! :eek: The branches were bending with the weight of them last year!!! so i was wondering has anyone else noticed this in their area? I'm gutted because i wanted to make some sloe gin for xmas! :(

Dont know about Sloes but i found some mushrooms in the horses paddock yesterday,think they're early.Will check the hedges for Sloes round here,we normally have plenty round us

Isn't it a bit early for sloes just yet?

Pauline

rodders said:
Dont know about Sloes but i found some mushrooms in the horses paddock yesterday,think they're early.Will check the hedges for Sloes round here,we normally have plenty round us
ok thanks :thumbsup:

maggie217 said:
Isn't it a bit early for sloes just yet? 

Pauline

Hi Pauline, yes you are right that its a bit early to collect sloes but i went out just to see how many there are ready for picking in the autumn and i couldnt find one sloe!!! But last year the branches were full of them!!!!

As the hedges were full of blackthorn blossom, there should in theory be plenty of sloes! You may be looking too early, over keen!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I picked my best sloes in early October last year (up her in the frozen north!!) still in bottles of gin as we speak - should be good for Xmas this year :cheers: HIC!!!!

My absolute favourite :- "

Tried Sloe Whisky at the Great Yorkshire Show and considered trying it as well this year.

Need to look out for them but its too early up here especially with the weather weve been having :(

jinx and rubys mum said:
My absolute favourite :- "
Tried Sloe Whisky at the Great Yorkshire Show and considered trying it as well this year.

Need to look out for them but its too early up here especially with the weather weve been having :(

OOOOH that sounds interesting (if you remember it's headache in a bottle lol!!) I can't remember ever having sloes any earlier than September up here in Northumberland. Think it is perhaps something to do with the weather, Northumberland hasn't heard of global warming LOL!!!

I've done Raspberry Vodka, Strawberry Gin as well as my Sloe Gin. The Rasp Vodka and Strawb Gin also go very well in champagne cocktails - MORE HEADACHES!!!!

That said, as a hunting fanatic I was weaned on 'Percy Specials' (Cherry Brandy and Whisky!!) :cheers: :wacko:

I hope we get plenty sloes - i bottled last year's sloe gin and damson gin last week ..... is in the cupboard now waiting for christmas

Anybody tried Apricot brandy?I love it,but haven't had any for years :(

2backs said:
Hi all! Hope you are all well? Ive just returned home from a walk with Blade my Beddie/whippet cross. Thought we would go and check to see how the sloe berries are doing and i couldn't find one!!!!!! :eek:   The branches were bending with the weight of them last year!!! so i was wondering has anyone else noticed this in their area? I'm gutted because i wanted to make some sloe gin for xmas! :(
Has anyone got a recipe they could post please...........sounds very interesting :thumbsup:

Back