The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

What Do You Think

*Lesley*

Grand Master...Fluffy & nice
Registered
Reaction score
As we've noticed recentley there seem to be a lot of thefts or attempted thefts of dogs in all areas, Mally had such an attempt a few nights ago and has now decided not to put any more pictures on which I don't blame him but what a shame, however I am more of the thinking that if my dogs were to go missing people would maybe have them in their minds eye because they've seen them so much, and they are on my website which I wouldn't want to get rid of, but I am also thinking is this a good idea it's a dilemma so I thought I'd see what everybodies oppinion are on this :thumbsup:

It's a VERY worrying situation,isn't it !

As it is,we're moving house in a few days time & i'm not going to put my phone number on my website,just my mobile number.

It amazes me that some people even put the location of their home on a website,that's just asking for trouble :eek:

I shall continue to post photo's,as i have them on my website anyway,but i will be very careful that none of them will give anyone an inkling as to where i am!

It's a sad,bad world that we have to go to such extreme measures to protect our dogs :(

Hi Lesley, IMO the scum will take the dogs regardless of wether there are pics on or not, we just all have to be more aware of people especially when out walking our dogs a few years ago a friend of ours was walking his little whippet bitch along a canal tow path he stopped to tie his shoe laces heard a car start up and never saw his dog again. Like you said we are all really proud of our dogs and when they achieve something it really nice to share it with other people who are as interested in the dogs as you are, keep posting your pics, if they want to take your dogs theyll try anyway.

I agree and by publishing lots of pictures of your dog to the public it's also making your dog better known to the general public. Whenever any of us have met up with our dogs you could spot whose is whose straight away. Put it this way if I saw a bloke walking down the street with Luci (Luci's mum) I'd be asking questions straight away.

What you need to do Lesley is not give your personal details out on the net that way even if you do post pictures any potential dog thieves would not know where you are so would have no way of locating where your dogs are.

I think most dog thefts come from people being followed home ect as in Mallys case he's never (as far as I know) given out his full address but he has given a rough area of where he lives so it wouldnt be difficult for a potential dog theif to hang around that area and to follow him home?.

as long as you dont make any referances to your location (other than West Yorkshire ect) you should be ok posting pics :thumbsup:

I'd guess that most dog crime is probably opportunistic, committed by people who move around a lot and are difficult to trace; they'll hear there's a fit looking dog around, and just hang around until they get a good moment to strike. I imagine a smaller amount is specifically targeted at kennels in a more professional way. Either way, I don't really see that pics make a lot of difference to the thieves' motivation in picking on your dog. The only thing you can really do is improve personal security (bolts on doors, gates, don't leave dogs on view in garden) to make life difficult for the opportunists and be careful with address details if you're actively competing or breeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a situation a last week where someone had cut the fuel lines on my car. I havent upset any one local to me so i became a little paranoid that it was someone off k9 that disagrees with what i do with my dogs, as such i removed my location from my avatar.

It now appears that im not the only person localy that has had this problem and its far more likely that it was someone just stealing fuel.

However the situation with mally has highlighted to me that we dont nessarily know who k9 members are or their reasons for being a k9 member.

Mally's decision is unfortuate but very prudent, i feel that i may follow in his footsteps.

Its a shame for k9 that this kind of situation has arose as it will make k9 less enjoyable for the many true whippet, lurcher, greyhound and iggy fans out there :(

Very sad isnt it. :(

I dont know if people who's dogs are visible on the web are more targeted for dog theft than others.

?

But the point is one doesnt feel comfortable about being visible in the climate of theft. It makes you want to lower your profile. just in case.

bad bad bad stuff. :angry:

Personally I don't think that photos of the dogs will entice people to steal them. Also though to be honest IMO a solid blue/black etc dog looks much like any other blue/black dog and having their pics on here isn't going to help people remember them beyond them being a solid dog of that colour. On the other hand dogs with markings such as Spry are memorable.

For indentification the photos need to be both sides front and back and maybe looking down from the top. So that you catch exactly any white markings, stripes, masks, scars. For solid coloured dogs they are only of use if the dog is in front of you.

The most important thing is not to give out your home locality or home phone number. Mobiles are perfect to use this way instead. Don't walk your dogs at the same place every day or routinely in the same places. Don't boast about their prowess to people that you don't know. Be careful who you are talking to at competative events.

Personally my dogs are all rescues and have various ailments and injuries which prevent them from being anything other than worthless which is why they've ended up with me. (Okay, okay so that's all true :b ).

Sad old world isn't it. :(

oh dear beejay :D

even on such a dark topic, you made me laugh... wouldnt it be bizarre if this site became a place full of pics of our dogs snarling and having diarrhoea whilst we discuss how slow and irritable they are.

A detterent tactic.

BeeJay said:
The most important thing is not to give out your home locality or home phone number.  Mobiles are perfect to use this way instead. 
Okay, I'll put my ultra-paranoid hat on, it seems mobile phones can now be tracked too :unsure: :

"20 January 2006 - A website that allows you to track any mobile phone around the globe has been launched in the UK.

The World Tracker GSM mobile phone tracking service will cost 16p for every request made, but does mean you can keep track of children or cheating husbands...

However the fact that you can track any number without needing the permission of the mobile phone owner will cause some concern to freedom of movement groups."

more...

I was really annoyed with Yellow Pages, who wouldn't give me a business ad unless the full postal address went on it. I don't suppose computer thieves would ever think of looking through the graphic design section of the Yellow Pages looking for sources of expensive apple hardware :- " . They did compromise and let us omit the house number eventually, but all our work contact is only via email and web for security reasons. That said, it's sometimes possible to find a physical address from this info in the right circumstances if you are savvy, but I won't go into details...

yep. moriarte is right.

as you Conan Doyle fans all know, Moriarte is the only character that Sherlock Holmes had real problems tracking down...

I think it's sad that we have to even consider putting photos of our dogs on or not because of scumbag dog theives :rant: :rant:

If these horrid people are after a dog they will try come what may, on the other

hand if we do post photos of our dogs on k9 and god forbid they ever do go

missing then alot of people on here will have a good idea of the dog gone missing

and more people over the country would be on the look out for it, if that makes sense.

With all the recent whippets that have gone missing we just have to remember to be more vigillant.

By the way Lesley when I first met you, you recognised Evie before me ! :- "

Julie

kitty said:
yep. moriarte is right.
as you  Conan Doyle fans all know, Moriarte is the only character that Sherlock Holmes had real problems  tracking down...

I wonder if he also wrote Moriarty's Police Law :- " That might explain a lot :lol:

kitty said:
oh dear beejay :D even on such a dark topic, you made me laugh... wouldnt it be bizarre if this  site became a  place full of pics of our dogs snarling and having diarrhoea whilst we discuss how slow and irritable they are.

A detterent tactic.

Now where was it that you met me and my dogs? :lol:

jue332 said:
I think it's sad that we have to even consider putting photos of our dogs on or not because of scumbag dog theives  :rant:   :rant:
  If these horrid people are after a dog they will try come what may, on the other

hand if we do post photos of our dogs on k9 and god forbid they ever do go

missing then alot of people on here will have a good idea of the dog gone missing

and more people over the country would be on the look out for it, if that makes sense.

With all the recent whippets that have gone missing we just have to remember to be more vigillant.

By the way Lesley when I first met you, you recognised Evie before me !  :- "

Julie

Thats very true Julie I did :D

Who knows more about our dogs than the insurance companies, they have our name, address, phone number, how many dogs we own, what breed, dogs name, dogs age, whether its been neutered, the list goes on..... It may be far fetched but who knows where our information ends up? :unsure:

*Lesley* said:
As we've noticed recentley there seem to be a lot of thefts or attempted thefts of dogs in all areas, Mally had such an attempt a few nights ago and has now decided not to put any more pictures on which I don't blame him but what a shame, however I am more of the thinking that if my dogs were to go missing people would maybe have them in their minds eye because they've seen them so much, and they are on my website which I wouldn't want to get rid of, but I am also thinking is this a good idea it's a dilemma so I thought I'd see what everybodies oppinion are on this  :thumbsup:
Hi Lesley

if that was the case you would expect that the show sector would be losing the dogs ie high profile ,websites ,show catalogues etc i think this is opportunist more likely an overheard conversation in a pub or maybe kennels that can seen from the road, it is a worry and on the back of whats being happing recently i have upped my own security

I agree Patrick I think it probably is the opportunist and the fact that these people who steal our dogs are cowards lets face it they probably wouldn't be so brave if you had a garden full of GSD's :rant: :rant:

They'd steal 'em too Leslie or shoot them. I'm being serious it's happened when 'people' have wanted to get out coursing lurchers.

Back