The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Walking On A Loose Lead !!

Teddy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi K9ers,

Can anyone offer me some suggestions on the best way to

train a whippet to walk on a loose lead!!

Thanks,

Teddy

How old is dog?

There are various methods. If its a young dog I would walk out very slowly, say heel, and stop dead every time it pulled on the lead. This looks VERY strange to passers by but you must stick at it like glue and Never back down. Its no good taking the dog at a pull somewhere and trying to train it there you have to do it as soon as you have the lead on. Also never let the dog go through the door before you. It is a very hard job, some dogs take to it quite quickly, others it never really sinks in. Lots of Whippets hate walking on a loose lead cos they always want to be leading the hunt. BE STRONG :D

Karen said:
How old is dog?
There are various methods. If its a young dog I would walk out very slowly, say heel, and stop dead every time it pulled on the lead.  This looks VERY strange to passers by but you must stick at it like glue and Never back down. Its no good taking the dog at a pull somewhere and trying to train it there you have to do it as soon as you have the lead on. Also never let the dog go through the door before you.  It is a very hard job, some dogs take to it quite quickly, others it never really sinks in.  Lots of Whippets hate walking on a loose lead cos they always want to be leading the hunt.  BE STRONG :D

Hi Karen.

Dobby is 11 months of age, and can be a bit of a "rascal" on the lead.

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

Regs David

Back