The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Unsuitable For Showing?

Whippetwomen

Registered
Reaction score
The breeder we got lily of said she was unsuitable for showing due to her marking - i guess its cos she has a lot of white!

Dogsandshow018.jpg

her colouring or markings should not make any differents,Lily is very simular to my Abbee :wub: :wub:

Without seeing her standing & stacked its difficult to pass judgement.

Markings wise she looks fine to me there is NEVER a badly marked whippet!

markings shouldn't make a difference,

she looks a cutie, :wub:

this is my lad, he has more brindle on his other side so looks a bit odd but most judges didn't mind :thumbsup:

Picture_133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if she thinks that's a show stand - she's unsuitable for showing :lol: :p :teehee:

No, seriously, as said by others, colour and markings are supposed to be immaterial. Can you contact the breeder again and ask her exactly what she meant? Also if the breeder said she didn't want her to be shown then you really should get her permission before you do. There may be something we can't see that your breeder decided was not good enough for the ring and perhaps just used colour as a simple explanation rather than go into the fine detail - especially if you came looking for a pet not a show dog.

Can you stack her up in a show stand and we can give you some comments about her build.

Of course we can't see her move - so we can't help you on that front. But if you took her along to some companion shows you should be able to meet up with some whippet people who could comment on that for you.

But definitely - if you are keen on showing you should contact the breeder first and let her see her again, now that she's grown a bit.

This is my Rosie

from one side

P1010140.jpg

and the other

P1010141.jpg

She was pregnant at the time these pictures were taken but when she was a puppy some one saw photos of her from both sides and thought it was 2 different dogs. She is not shown at the moment as her puppies are 5 months old but she will be back in the ring soon

As others said colour and makrongs should be immaterial in whippets. But marking can sometime create an optical illusion, which can make a dog look better or worse than she is. For instance white mark on the dogs back can make the topline look flat.

While something like that can make her front straight, topline cut off, and her body as lacking in substance.

White like this would accentuate her front angulation and make her neck look longer

One bitch in my last litter was a super shape but had a white mark on her topline that made her look `dippy ` so I pet homed her :cheers: They are the best homes anyhow :huggles:

I see from your other thread that she was bred by Leigh Morris ( Crosscrop) , Im sure Leigh would like to see her now and be able to say wether or not she would be good enough for showing , even if its just companion shows to start with :cheers:

As a judge we shouldnt have any preferances about colour :- " :cheers:

fewterer said:
aslan said:
if the breeder said she didn't want her to be shown then you really should get her permission before you do.
Why?

If breeder sells pup to a pet home and tell the person it is not show quality for one reason or another, he may not want it in the ring. The owner bought the dog under the understanding this dog is not suitable for show, so to show the dog would be against the agreement. if the buyer wanted a show dog, the breeder would have sold him/her dog that he would be happy to see exhibited.

My pups sold to pet home are sold with limited registration papers, and cannot be shown. If anybody changes their mind I can transfer the dog to main register, but that is totally at my discretion, as the contract clearly states the pup is sold as a pet only, not to be shown or bred from. :)

Because a breeder's reputation is on the line with what they allow to go into the ring. Breeders try to put only the best pups into show homes. And there can be a number of reasons that a pup is designated "pet quality". It can be a minor fault, it can be a major fault - or it could not be a fault at all - eg marking placement that just creates the illusion of a fault.

If the breeder decided that this puppy wasn't good enough for the ring - she must have had her reasons. And if you go to buy a "pet" puppy then that is what the breeder gives you - they don't expect that you will turn around in a month's time and say I want to show this puppy now.

Of course it's a different matter if the breeder believed the pup was show quality to start but couldn't find a show home so let the pup go to a pet home.

And of course pups do change as they grow. What was pet quality at 10 weeks might be a BIS winner by the time it turns 2. So if you want to show a pup you bought as a pet you should always check with the breeder first.

Seraphina said:
White like this would accentuate her front angulation and make her neck look longer
Those are some GREAT examples. Thanks for taking the time to photoshop them. It really does help to see how markings can change how a dog appears.

Wendy

I thought the same thing. Great use of photoshop :thumbsup:

gutsey said:
Our old whippet was from show stock,partner said people had shown whippets at crufts etc,but ours wouldn`t be any good for crufts as he didn`t have a butterfly nose.???he took him to local shows and won also hunted with him and won at lurcher shows as well.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s218/da.../ourdogs007.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s218/da..._2007/jimmy.jpg

Nice dog, but i cannot see butterfly nose on him. Butterfly nose is a is a fault it is a nose with pink spots, instead of dark pigment. Most whippet pups have lot of pink on their noses when they are born but the pigment develops in first few weeks of their life.

Back