The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Uk law regards to defending your dog **Distressing Content**

Oreo

Registered
Reaction score
What is the law in regards to protecting your dog in the event of an attack by another dog?

I always wonder what I'd do if Oreo was attacked by another dog.

I would like to think I would be brave enough to try and remove the dog away from mine but I can never be sure what id do.

What do you feel is reasonable force to defend your dog but also when does it cross the line and become illegal?

Just wondered what everyone else would do in that situation?

well something i can get my teeth into. mine had been and i lost the plot. why? because mine was on lead in public place so for me all the force in the workd protect ur own. now we all know the law has changed bout protecting yr home so we must have a law for our dogs. im 5ft7 and 10st10 so hardly a fighting machine. cant wait to read the law lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Only my opinion but if the other dog is the agressor then my first reaction would be to try to contain it, failing that NEVER put your arms between the 2 dogs as that could lead to a very serious injury for yourself and NEVER PULL dogs apart as if another dog has your dog firmly and punctured the skin you could make it 10 times worse.

Try to get some one to help you other wise try to hold msot aggressive dogs head down to the ground easier said than done. Other than that all you can do is hit the other dog. ( last resort )

derek u say last resort hit dog. for me if the dog is aggressive and off lead then hit first ask questions after because im sorry my job is too look after and care for my dogs end ov. if other people cant be bothered or just dont care then tough. i have hit anf kicked two dogs for attacking mine, i sleep easy on that.

derek u say last resort hit dog. for me if the dog is aggressive and off lead then hit first ask questions after because im sorry my job is too look after and care for my dogs end ov. if other people cant be bothered or just dont care then tough. i have hit anf kicked two dogs for attacking mine, i sleep easy on that.
I agree, you cannot negotiate with a dog so needs must in this type of situation in my opinion.

It is tricky, I did a google and couldn't find anything...

come on people this should be a good tread. i will behonest i dont google much law as common sence makes it clear but there must be laws to protect our dogs when we tow the line.

I think if you kicked or damaged someone else's dog - regardless of why, you could be in big trouble with the law.

this is what we are trying to find out but im hoping the defending your own on lead dog agsinst attack would see me walk free lol. now moving this thread on a bit if my dog was under s big attack and ive said this before i would protect my dogs with force and if that means killing a out of control dog and saving the life of mine then i have no shame in that. simples really respect other dogs and there owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right ok, I have had a quick look and it seems it's all down to the individual officer.

There is no specific law in regards to protecting your dog however, if you can convince the police you feel you were in danger and the only way to control the situation is to kick the offending dog then 9 times out of 10 you will be ok.

I think if you go down the line of protecting yourself rather than your dog then they might see it better than if you were protecting your dog.

I will look onto it further when I get chance.

whats the face for banana? speak freei not be offended. all im in favour of is unprovoked attacks and keeping my dog alive. ive seen pits fight and next doors dog a staffie fight and not a good sight.

I think its tricky and a difficult point of law to debate..

I wouldn't want anyone on the forum being told its okay to attack/maim/damage someone elses dog because it had attacked their own and think they would 'get away with it'....

I think we would all protect our dogs as best we could if anything like that ever happened but I also think the police would not look favourably on someone who took it too far...........

ok understand but isnt that just people being different, you say you would protect your dog the best you could, now if the attack is from a staffie or rottie then you would have to take hard force to save the possible life of YOUR DOG, now i really cant agree with you on these points, i say again if my dogs life is in danger then i would protect my dog thats on lead against attack from a dog thats off lead and i should have the right the kick, hurt and stop, thus saving my dogs life.. good thread thow, cadac see what you have started lol.

I wouldn't know where to start if a really vicious dog started attacking one of my dogs, I would be scared of being attacked myself but would try and separate them, I would probably kick it in the - ummmm - bottom area! :lol: ....

Its just not a question I can really answer and hope I am never in the position

as we all not the same then we would act in diff way, i hope also your not in a fight one day, its not nice, id like to carry pepper spray but the law could be hard on me there, when cadac made the post i thought yes i want to know the law because in scotland its bad dogs off lead and attacks so at time thats when i get a bit heated lol my aim is not to offend but protect sumthink thats mine, :thumbsup:

I would personaly take off my jacket and use it to deter the dog away from your own or cover its head if the other dog as a grip on yours thats just me but if it wud turn on me i wud feel no choice but to kill it probs by standing on its back. if your dog isnt too heavy you can picking it up and put your dog over your shoulder providing the size of the attacking dog as u may get hurt yourself

Back