The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Two Dogs Out Of Same Litter

KJH1

Registered
Reaction score
I remember somone raising this question a few weeks ago but cant find the discussion now. Whats the general opinion about having two dogs out of the same litter. We did have two whippet dogs out of the same litter and they fought terribly at times, then were licking each other the next minute. We always said we would never have two again and here we are thinking about it. Any thoughts please.

having just got a new baby i can honestly say i wouldnt have two from the same litter she is an absolute joy but hard work i dont feel i could devote enough time to training them both properly and would worry they would bond with each other too much

also there is always the chance of sibling rivalry when they get older which would make it impossible for me to decide who had to be rehomed if the need arose its just not for me but good luck with whatever you decide :)

I've got two six month old whippet dogs from the same litter - wouldn't say it's easy but I still think the pros outweigh the cons.

Cons: Need to find another adult to take to training cos our club won't let under 16 train dogs

- twice as much poo, insurance, vaccinations, coats, food etc - harder to train at home if there is only one of you (my husband works and I don't at the moment so the training is up to me) - harder to walk two dogs sometimes - some people find they bond with each other more than the owner but I have to say that has not happened with ours - some alarming snarly fights when playing (but this would happen with two whippets whether related or not) - harder to visit people with 2 dogs than one (feels like more of an imposition) - harder to get holiday cottages that take more than one dog.

Pros: Little/ no problems with sep. anxiety as they have each other - they caught on with house training extremely quickly as they learned from each other - settled in their crate overnight from day two - entertain and exercise each other in the garden so use up loads of energy this way - twice as many whippet smiles and cuddles - like having your kids close together, you get all the mess and being housebound etc out of the way in one go!

At 8 weeks

IMG_3743crop.jpg

Bit older:-

IMG_3930low.jpg

At about 4 and a half months

Pickerings002crop.jpg

i can see why you had 2 from the same litter just adorable :wub: :wub: :wub:

We have two from the same litter too - and I can say Esty has covered all of the bases! :thumbsup:

I don't have any regrets getting two - but I don't know if I'd do it again if I had the benefit of hindsight (if you know what I mean?)

HTH

z

We kept 2 from our last litter, no probs at all, in saying that, i took Bertie to work wif me every day from a young age, and done a bit of training through my 2 food breaks, Emma trained Ted at home, so they only see each other a few hours at night--and get on SUPERB, 2 OF THE BEST PUPS WE"V EVER HAD.! o:)

I have 2 dog's out the same litter, and it was the best thing I did, as whippet racer's We have had so much fun with them, I think they are the most addorable and lovable dogs we have ever own. :wub:

These 2 eat the same sleep the same play the same, and they always give the same and that is love :wub: :wub: back to us.

I would highly reccomend it :thumbsup:

So :luck: :luck: with what ever choice you make :thumbsup:

Thanks for your replies, any others wud be welcome. I think I am just trying to persuade myself. My two main fears are fighting ( but maybe it was just a bad match in personalitites and some bad parenting by us with my other two I had), holidays and chewing ( my last two wrecked our kitchen but I did work full time then, only do 4 hours now).

Pros

Company for each other.

My children could `adopt' one each.

Wudnt be leaving one dog alone out of litter - feel very sad about this.

Two little bundle of joys - photo of the two whippets together adorable - i remember that.

My dad will say I am mad - said I wud never have two from same litter again

Cons

Two dogs harder for someone to care for when we on holiday - wud have to go to different homes.

Possible fighting.

Twice the chewed shoes etc

Thinking they are at trap one and two at a dog race and chasing off down the field obvlivious to our calls.

As has been said - twice the amount of bills, however have kept dog boxes, leads and coats from my last two.

Oh the dilema.

I have never noticed that pups from multi dog households would bond together more than with their owners. The relationship between the dogs ,and between each of them and their human is not on the same level. I have number of dogs and they all get along fine, and every one of them is bonded more to me than to my other dogs. Nowadays I only walk 2 at the time, but there were times I would take 5 for run, when I call they all race to me trying to be the first to reach me. On couple of rare occasions when I took out only one, she was lot less obedient, as she had me all to herself and did not need to try to be the center of my attention.

Few years ago I ran on 4 pups from the same litter, and it was sooooo easy. They all lived in the house as everybody else, they were clean, were not destructive at all - probably just played together instead of eating my shoes. They were no trouble at all to leash train, altogether. I had 4 colourful leashes and they ended looking bit like a maypole, as they platted it, but basically they just walked.

I think 2 pups would be happier, would cry less, easier to train to sleep in their crate, less likely to be destructive due to boredom and loneliness. :)

Of course 2 dogs will eat twice as much, vet bills will be double. But if you intend to feed kibble, having 2 dogs nmay mean you can buy bigger bag, which can be quite a bit cheaper per KG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never noticed that pups from multi dog households would bond together more than with their owners. The relationship between the dogs ,and between each of them and their human is not on the same level. I have number of dogs and they all get along fine, and every one of them is bonded more to me than to my other dogs. Nowadays I only walk 2 at the time, but there were times I would take 5 for run, when I call they all race to me trying to be the first to reach me. On couple of rare occasions when I took out only one, she was lot less obedient, as she had me all to herself and did not need to try to be the center of my attention.
Few years ago I ran on 4 pups from the same litter, and it was sooooo easy. They all lived in the house as everybody else, they were clean, were not destructive at all - probably just played together instead of eating my shoes. They were no trouble at all to leash train, altogether. I had 4 colourful leashes and they ended looking bit like a maypole, as they platted it, but basically they just walked.

I think 2 pups would be happier, would cry less, easier to train to sleep in their crate, less likely to be destructive due to boredom and loneliness. :)

Of course 2 dogs will eat twice as much, vet bills will be double. But if you intend to feed kibble, having 2 dogs nmay mean you can buy bigger bag, which can be quite a bit cheaper per KG.

:thumbsup:

I agree with Esty

This is my two 10 weeks old Maggie the Black & White & Wilfred the Blue Brindle.

IMG00056.jpg

My friend also has 2 2 yr old brother and sisters and they are a joy.

It is double the work, but I too think the pro out way the cons.

good luck with what ever you decide.

Having kept litter sisters on more than one occasion, I can confirm it is very hard work and I wouldn't do it again.

I ahve to 3 1/2 year old sisters we had indy at 7 weeks and got ruby at 18 months its odvious they know they are sisters they sleep toghthere play togethere and love each other both are entire and come in season within 24 hours of each other they do then get over frendly with each other. we allso have 2, 9 month old pups we keeped from the litter we had a dog and bitch we have never ahd a minets probelm with them eathere and there such lovley gentle loving natures very obediant on and off lead and have fab recall. I would prefare 2 from a litter at a time now

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got two six month old whippet dogs from the same litter - wouldn't say it's easy but I still think the pros outweigh the cons.
Cons: Need to find another adult to take to training cos our club won't let under 16 train dogs

- twice as much poo, insurance, vaccinations, coats, food etc - harder to train at home if there is only one of you (my husband works and I don't at the moment so the training is up to me) - harder to walk two dogs sometimes - some people find they bond with each other more than the owner but I have to say that has not happened with ours - some alarming snarly fights when playing (but this would happen with two whippets whether related or not) - harder to visit people with 2 dogs than one (feels like more of an imposition) - harder to get holiday cottages that take more than one dog.

Pros: Little/ no problems with sep. anxiety as they have each other - they caught on with house training extremely quickly as they learned from each other - settled in their crate overnight from day two - entertain and exercise each other in the garden so use up loads of energy this way - twice as many whippet smiles and cuddles - like having your kids close together, you get all the mess and being housebound etc out of the way in one go!

At 8 weeks

IMG_3743crop.jpg

Bit older:-

IMG_3930low.jpg

At about 4 and a half months

Pickerings002crop.jpg
:lol: What a smashing photo of them alseep together

Back