The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Tribute,to A Mate

billyboy45

Registered
Reaction score
Nicola,(BABY 1)PM me today,to say that a mate of mine had passed away on Sunday.(Thank's Nicola).When i say mate,Gerard Playford,was certainly that.Before i ever met the man,i had a wee bitch stolen from my yard,and she turned up in a video,which was taken at a game fair in Limerick,which was hundred's of mile's away.After load's of searching,it turned out that Gerard had bought her ligitimately,not knowing the story behind her.He imediately offered to bring the bitch down to me.But as his kid's loved her so much,there was no way,i was breaking their heart's.Anyway,we agreed,that if ever she was to be parted with,then she would come back to me.Kept in touch with him for about 3or4 years,and alway's new where Sprig ,who was the bitch in? was.One day out of the blue,the phone rang,and it was Gerard.He was going to work in England,and was i ready for Sprig,as he wanted me to have her.You bet i was.Anyway,that started off a friendship,that has lasted till now,and between time's,he was generous enough to give me his wee Sky dog,to breed with.Resulting in Pyper,Trouble, Niki,Jake,Stern,and Archer.Nobody else ever got to use him,and as he new he could trust me to look after him the best i could,he let me keep him for as long as i wanted.Gerard was a hard working man,who loved his dog's n horses.But above all,he lived for his wife,n kid's.We did'nt see much of each other,but last time i was up,he took me to the loft of his house,where he was turning it into room's for the kid's,so they could have their own space,to chil out or what ever.I can't even remember the way back,there are so many road's.He kept himself imaculate,and was fit as a fiddle.His good wife,told me tonight,that in the past few day's,he was taking a couple of pain's,but would'nt go to the doc.On Sunday morning,he took the last one,while on his way down the drive,to go pull a bloke out,who was having a bit of trouble with a cooker.His wife told me tonight,that when he went down,(collapsed)he was laughing and joking,and the bloke thought he was only kidding.Unfortunately,he was'nt.Gerard leave's a wife,and a young family behind him,so it would be appreciated,if you're thought's and prayer's are with them,over the next few day's.I wanted him to see these pup's run,but as he wont,i'll put summit up somewhere in his memory,if his family will agree to it. ....Billy...PS.Reason this is being put on so late,is that we've had a bad storm tonight,and thing's were hectic for a while.Please dont direct any condolences my way,as i think it only proper,that they go to his wife and kid's,who need all our thought's and prayer's.

[SIZE=8pt][edited by Nigel 10 Jan 2008][/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP sounds like he was a fantastic bloke, who would do anything for anyone.

Our thoughts are with his family :huggles: and also you BillyBoy for losing a good friend :huggles:

Hi Billy,

You mistyped his name is was Gerard Playford. He is being buried today such sad news, thank you for updating me Billy

Nichola. :thumbsup:

baby1 said:
Hi Billy,
You mistyped his name is was Gerard Playford.  He is being buried today such sad news, thank you for updating me Billy

By the time i realised this,it was too late to sort it,but i have pm Helen and nigel,to see if they could sort it for me.I feel realy awful about that,and can only put it down to stupidity,or the fact that my mind was also on what was happening outside.Anyway,when you're under pressure,like i was last night,you tend to get everything wrong.Hopefully the mod's can sort it for me. ...Billy...

billyboy45 said:
baby1 said:
Hi Billy,
You mistyped his name is was Gerard Playford.  He is being buried today such sad news, thank you for updating me Billy

By the time i realised this,it was too late to sort it,but i have pm Helen and nigel,to see if they could sort it for me.I feel realy awful about that,and can only put it down to stupidity,or the fact that my mind was also on what was happening outside.Anyway,when you're under pressure,like i was last night,you tend to get everything wrong.Hopefully the mod's can sort it for me. ...Billy...

Oh dont worry Billy I know all about it. Its so sad to think thats it now, I just dont nkow what his wife and Kids are going to do. We lived in the same street as him for two years then he moved then we moved but Frankie called to his house all the time becuase he used to walk the dogs up past his house. Such a nice guy will be missed.

Very sad news, our thoughts and prayers go to his wife and children, may they know the comfort that only comes from the LORD. Met Gerard on a number of occassions, a real nice guy and i think on every occassion i met him his kids were always by his side, a real family man.

Gerard was a good friend of mine. His funeral today was very sad. My thoughts are with his family. He had time for everyone, he helped me with my dogs and ferrets on many occassions. We often had hour long chats about our dogs, and we gave eachother advice. He was a good man and he would have done anything for you. He was a great lover of animals, you name it he had it, from horses to dogs to pigeons to ferrets. Even his funeral cortege was made up of Horses and a carriage.

R.I.P MY FRIEND GERARD

Back