The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Tibetan Terrier Question

Angela#

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know whether anyone can help but my friend has a TT who has always suffered from itchy skin - I think its a form of dermatitisand apparently common in this breed. His skin is actually raw and because of this she has also has to keep him clipped. The only thing that seems to keep it under control is the use of steroids which she would obviously prefer not to give him on a continued basis. She has tried various potions to no avail and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions. She wondered whether antihistamine might help. Any ideas most welcome. :wacko:

I had a wee crossbreed that had the same problem. The drugs from the vet helped but she couldn't stay on them for ever. The vet stopped the drugs as they were causing liver problems, the bad skin problem returned and the skin inside her ears got so inflamed that she couldn't hear and was in great pain. About this time I moved my big lurcher in to kennels outside (he had eaten most of the furniture in the house, doors, walls and window frames) I put the wee dog out with him until he settled. Within weeks her skin improved and after a few months she had the first full body of hair I had ever seen. She was a bit huffy at being outside but the skin problem never returned.

The vet gave me some blah blah blah about allergy to carpets etc. but I wish he had suggested the outdoor option before we started the years of drugs and shampoos.

Don't know if this helps, but might be worth a try.

hi

my mum had a tt for 7 years, she had the same thing plus a bad liver, she was on steroids for years, lost most of her hair, my mum contacted the breeder who didnt want anything to do with it, said it wasnt her problem, but we found out 3 other pups from the same litter had this as well.

sorry i know this is no help, just thought i would tell you about bess ;)

hely said:
himy mum had a tt for 7 years, she had the same thing plus a bad liver, she was on steroids for years, lost most of her hair, my mum contacted the breeder who didnt want anything to do with it, said it wasnt her problem, but we found out 3 other pups from the same litter had this as well.

sorry i know this is no help, just thought i would tell you about bess ;)

Thanks for the replies I will pass them on. :))

Back