The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

The Day Finally Came

tyrerchristine

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone i just had to post this even though i cant put pics on here as i only have mobile internet and not sure it will work. Otis is finally home he arrived on thurs afternoon and of course was shy and scared but didnt take him long to come out of his shell, he is so cute and a joy to be around :) he is very playfull especially with my 2yr old son and they both seen to get on great and when otis is sleeping which is lots lol he sits at his cage waiting for him to wake up lol. His first night was as expected lol he went to sleep fine and then 2hours later that was it he cried lol i tried leaving him for a few min thinking he might settle himself then went down and tried lying on sofa not far from cage but didnt work, so in the end he ended up upstairs but on floor next to bed and settled for a few hours more till he decided it was playtime and ended up in bed with me (oh no) but lastnight we did it all again, clock, hotwater bottle, fed, watered and outside for usual then bedtime so i moved his cage from sitting room into passage thinking if he cried i could leave him a little longer to cry without next door complaining lol and he went to sleep fine and then a hour later he started but i waited and after 5min he stopped :) :) :) what a good boy he is :* and i heard nothing till 4.30 this morning and he didnt stop this time so thought because he did so well i would go down and i let him out (after crying stopped ;) ) and after half hour he went back in and cried a tiny bit then stopped :* :* :* and that was him till 7.30 :) :) sorry if thats a bit long but just wanted to share and see if anyone thinks of anything ive not tried ;) ;)

Oh going to try and put pic on.

It sounds like you are all doing fine. Say hello to Otis from Toddy, Lilly, Misty and Foxy and me. :wub: :)

Something that smells of you might comfort him at night although he sounds like he is going to be just great..

I had a quite a few problems getting Toddy to settle but he was a 8 month old rescue who had had a lovely loving home, then was returned to breeder and kenneled for 8 - 10 weeks. The therefore has issues and baggage :)

Finally cracked the nightime last week and the daytime seperation problems are improving too.

I do hope that you can post a photo of the little lad or both of them :)

We have had Gracie a week now and she is 9 weeks old. :) Rachel and Jo gave us a large soft toy for her which had been in with her litter mates and the other dogs so had some nice familiar smells on it. We put it in Gracie's crate and I have the radio on very low at night. We have two other dogs, one is crated next to her and the other sleeps on the sofa but Gracie can see both of them and I think this has definitely been the best thing to help her settle as we only had a few minutes whimpering. However, I presume that Otis is your only dog. Someone recommended to me for our second dog who had terrible separation anxiety, a DAP plug in which gives off pheromones. I have to say it didn't work for Pip but she was a severe case and 10 months old from a horrible background. However, it might work for your pup as he's probably just feeling lonely and unsure and missing the warmth and smells of his mum and siblings. Good luck, he will settle it just takes time. :luck:

Just thought, a blanket over half his crate will make him feel safe (make sure he can still see out) and as well as the bedding, I made a sort of 'cot bumper' out of a big bath sheet that goes around the inside of the crate and Gracie snuggles into this and by morning she's got a little nest around her. Daft but it might help!

Ah thanks i think he is coming on great :) ill try and get some pics on in the next few days x glad to hear your getting there too :) hope he keeps doing well x

Alfie has his soft toy from Jo and Rachel as well and cuddles in to that and settles really well at bed time. He did wake up at half four this morning though ... but that was because he needed out for a wee :) He had a wee protest when I put him straight back to bed but settled down again until half six :thumbsup:

I think the main thing is to try to establish a routine, I'm sure all our babies will soon get the hang of it. Lots of luck with Otis, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with him :luck: :D

PS hope you can post some photos soon

Sounds like he is doing fine. You've had some good advice and can also recommend putting a sweater or something in his bed which has your scent on. Goodluck with him. I'm looking forward to seeing his photo.

Ah thanks for all the tips im sure he will do just fine, he is fast a sleep in his crate at the min bless x

Welcome home Otis, glad all is going well Christine. :thumbsup: :luck:

I'm so glad that Otis :wub: is finally home with you Christine :)

I also think it would be a good idea for you to put a jumper that smells of yourself in the crate with Otis :huggles: we did this with Star :wub:

Star also loved the Microwaveable Cuddle Puppy that a good friend bought for him from 'Pets at Home' :huggles: it contains a little pouch of buckwheat that you pop into the microwave for a few seconds to warm. :)

:luck: :luck: with him, can't wait to see some pics :wub:

It sounds as though everything is going well with little Otis :D

Looking forward to seeing some pics in due course :thumbsup:

oh christine im so glad your boy is finally home i hope he has settled well :)

hey christine! so glad you have yer boy home..love his name and look forward to piccies! :D

Back