The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Teaching molly to lie down

Girl&Molly

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

About two weeks ago, I rescued a beautiful, seven-year-old Staff crossbreed, Molly. She's incredibly intelligent and very quick to learn, but I'm having problems teaching her to lie down.

I've tried putting her in a lie down position to show her, but she doesn't connect the movement with the order. I've tried using treats to guide her down, but she only follows the treats down to her chest and ignores them beyond that.

Anybody have any advice?

Girl & Molly.

Try lying down yourself, show her the treat roll over and ignore her, she will more than likely jump all over you for attention plus to get her treat;. start poking the treat from the side of your body but don't let her have it, she will lie down and stick her nose under you to get at the treat, When she does lie down to snuffle under you, give a lot of fuss and say LIE DOWN, GOOD GIRL and let her have the treat.

She will eventually cotton on, with older dogs some commands do take a bit longer.

I hope you have a lovely life with your new dog

Shewy

I would enrol in a good training class run by a member of the APDT. Their motto is "Kind, Fair and Effective". Well worth the effort.

I had this problem recently with our puppy who would not get the idea of lying down for a puppy class we were doing. I eventually realised I didn't actually have to teach her to lie down, she would do it constantly throughout the day anyway, so I just started marking the behaviour I wanted! when I saw her lie down I would give her a treat and say down, after a few hours of doing this she got the idea!

Back