The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Small Whippets Under 16lbs

halloween

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to appear to be against the bigger whippet but i think it's unfair that the smaller dog is not catered for at championship level. There are a few dogs under 15lbs and i think it would be better for them to have a 14lb class instead of being let go as pets. Before anyone says they can't run over more than 150yds i can tell you that in the 70s i had a 13lb bitch that had to run at 16lbs ( therefore giving all others 3yds) due to my club running under their interpretation of BWRA rules. She ran from 150 to 220yds with no problems. I know of other people who have had whippets 13 to 14 lbs and they also ran under the same conditions. Would you think it fair if your whippet , whatever it's weight had to give away 2-3yds every time it ran? There may be one or two of you who will say there aren't enough smaller dogs to put on a 14lb class, well just look back at previous championships, there have been some classes with no or only one entry in the past, and i am not talking about the 16lbers. A 14 lb class would encourage people to keep smaller dogs instead of letting them go as pets. The bigger whippet has been catered for so how about it?

I don't want to appear to be against the bigger whippet but i think it's unfair that the smaller dog is not catered for at championship level. There are a few dogs under 15lbs and i think it would be better for them to have a 14lb class instead of being let go as pets. Before anyone says they can't run over more than 150yds i can tell you that in the 70s i had a 13lb bitch that had to run at 16lbs ( therefore giving all others 3yds) due to my club running under their interpretation of BWRA rules. She ran from 150 to 220yds with no problems. I know of other people who have had whippets 13 to 14 lbs and they also ran under the same conditions. Would you think it fair if your whippet , whatever it's weight had to give away 2-3yds every time it ran? There may be one or two of you who will say there aren't enough smaller dogs to put on a 14lb class, well just look back at previous championships, there have been some classes with no or only one entry in the past, and i am not talking about the 16lbers. A 14 lb class would encourage people to keep smaller dogs instead of letting them go as pets. The bigger whippet has been catered for so how about it?
Put a topic about littuns last year for the under 16lb (micro racers).they could have a class of there own maybe ran over 100 as they gain nothing over the last 50 due to there size but would be lighting away 100 would give some good racing. i was talking to someone at greyhound rescue who had just rehomed a dog that didnt make the weight/size waste of a bit of fun . would love to see a heat of micros over 100.

and a lot of the problem is folks are frightened they get hurt as they are so small and fine but if they only ran together over 100 would be reasonable safe. the bigguns are catered for, so why not the under 16s?????? :thumbsup:

HOW WANY ARE THERE OUT THERE MICRO RACERS

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a topic about littuns last year for the under 16lb (micro racers).they could have a class of there own maybe ran over 100 as they gain nothing over the last 50 due to there size but would be lighting away 100 would give some good racing. i was talking to someone at greyhound rescue who had just rehomed a dog that didnt make the weight/size waste of a bit of fun . would love to see a heat of micros over 100.

and a lot of the problem is folks are frightened they get hurt as they are so small and fine but if they only ran together over 100 would be reasonable safe. the bigguns are catered for, so why not the under 16s?????? :thumbsup:

HOW WANY ARE THERE OUT THERE MICRO RACERS

As i said, my bitch ran over 220yds against 32lbers and won so i don't think the distance is the problem as much as peoples misunderstanding. She went in hard at the end and never got hurt, they are tougher than you think! A 14 lb class at the BWRA and up to 15lbs at the Feds, How about it guys? Perhaps 100yds at opens for micros might be good. By the way both my pups will be over 16lbs so this is not for personal reasons.

I for one would be over the moon if there was a class for the little uns as i have a little dog, Cree who is 14lbs 6 at the moment, and im not sure if she is gonna make 16lb. Shes real keen and i would love to be able to see her race against dogs her own size

when David H put the topic on requesting the "micro class" for smaller whippets the NNWRF did include this at our next event and surprisingly the outcome was not one entrant the NNWRF does however allow the yardage and our champs are not run off scratch

when David H put the topic on requesting the "micro class" for smaller whippets the NNWRF did include this at our next event and surprisingly the outcome was not one entrant the NNWRF does however allow the yardage and our champs are not run off scratch

It's no good putting an event on only once, you should do it every time. As to no entries i will say you cater for others and sometimes there are no or not many entries but you still do it again next time. If the event was everytime then eventually you will get entries-just give it time. All champs are in 2lb weight groups, why not the little ones as well?

NNWRF champs is up to 17lb so any dog under gets it 1 yard a lb, to introduce another class at the NNWRF would alter the light weigh heavy weight run offs as theres 5 dogs in each at champs...

You need to look for opens that says up to 20lb etc that way you should get your yard a lb...however if it says 16lb to 32lb open you will loss your yard a lb

Hope that makes sense

Could you not put a race on just for the micros but don't include them in the run of ?

I am sure if the dog/bitch under 16lb is good enough it will win the upto 17lb class, theres been a few in the past good enough, as i said the NNWRF does cater for them by giving them there yd a lb

I am sure if the dog/bitch under 16lb is good enough it will win the upto 17lb class, theres been a few in the past good enough, as i said the NNWRF does cater for them by giving them there yd a lb

But like i said earlier,ALL other classes are in 2lb increments(is that spelt correctly?) why should small dogs be penalised by having to run in a group that's bigger?

I think DEE is saying you would get your yard per pound i.e a 17lb would give a 14lb 3 start. My honest opinion though is not many would win and in the run off's I would argue their would be a significantly higher risk running 14lb dogs with 25lb dogs to the lighter dog. A micro class maybe a good idea at the beginning of the program with the scratch pups etc but I am not sure it would ever have any entrants to be honest! Just my opinion.

Ant

is there many micros about???????????

imo 100 yds would be enough and make close racing,with no run off with other classes

you need the dogs to give it a go.

maybe a feature in whippet news would promote a possible new class???

Do you not think that with the new breeding rules regarding the greyhound outcross rule, there will be more of these little dogs being breed?

Regarding injury when racing with bigger dogs, as i said previously my 13lber used to run with dogs up to 32lbs with no injuries. You can get injuries and fatalities with any size of dog, just look at the recent bend champs and Dawdon for example. And i have already said would you like to run in the champs in bigger weight groups? i think not.

It might be better to ask your club to catere for these dogs in their opens then if it and see how it goes from there or get your BWRA rep to putit forward at the next meeting better still propose it at the next BWRA proposals and it will go out to a ballot

on behalf of the NNWRF it was discussed by the committee after it was raised on here in March 2008 we put on a trial race of 100yd at Highgate for which there was no interest after further discussion it was decided against putting another class on at the champs

regarding your referal to the scratch racing the classes have increased because there was a need for them and more than enough dogs to warrant the change, the puppy / yearling and vet scr classes are allways advertised as according to entries so if there is only 1 or 2 in each class the 40lb /48lb / and no limit are put in together

if there was a need for a class for under 16lb then why not,but if it's only to accomadate 1 dog it's a waste of time ,it's bad enough as it is now with dogs getting titles with a solo run. it took me 16 year to get a champion, it's far to easy now. ;)

i can only think of 3/4 16lbers that run now :)

it's very rare you will get a dog under 16lb nowadays.

if there was a need for a class for under 16lb then why not,but if it's only to accomadate 1 dog it's a waste of time ,it's bad enough as it is now with dogs getting titles with a solo run. it took me 16 year to get a champion, it's far to easy now. ;)
i can only think of 3/4 16lbers that run now :)

it's very rare you will get a dog under 16lb nowadays.

Wonder why that is :-

It might be better to ask your club to catere for these dogs in their opens then if it and see how it goes from there or get your BWRA rep to putit forward at the next meeting better still propose it at the next BWRA proposals and it will go out to a ballot
on behalf of the NNWRF it was discussed by the committee after it was raised on here in March 2008 we put on a trial race of 100yd at Highgate for which there was no interest after further discussion it was decided against putting another class on at the champs

regarding your referal to the scratch racing the classes have increased because there was a need for them and more than enough dogs to warrant the change, the puppy / yearling and vet scr classes are allways advertised as according to entries so if there is only 1 or 2 in each class the 40lb /48lb / and no limit are put in together

Don't remember saying owt about scratch racing. As to your other point you put a race of 100yds and decided not to do it again, why? it costs nothing to put on so you lose nothing in doing so. If you did put it on then eventually dogs will race, don't forget a lot of them have been given pet homes because there was no provision for them in so called "whippet racing"

I think I agree with John G. The 16 pound class normally has no more than one or two so under 16 would probabily result in solo's week in week out so can't see how it would be benefical

Back