The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Seasons - too long/too late!?

SillyWrong

Registered
Reaction score
We adopted two adults Bichons (aged 5 and 7) after Christmas, they had both recently had litters - the previous owner said both at the beginning of November (1st and 3rd). We expected seasons at the beginning of February (assuming 2 months gestation, previous season would have been September?)

Well, Polly came 'on' (started bleeding) 27th Feb, and still is ... everything I have read says 8-10 days bleeding, the most I've read is 14 days; well, she's now been bleeding 18 days. I've decided that if she's not stopped by Friday (so that will be 21 days) that I will ring the vet - but am I being too relaxed about this, is it a sign anything could be wrong?

Elsie hasn't come on at all - but is paying lots of attention to her privates. Hers haven't swelled like Polly's did though.

Anyone an expert in this field?

Bring on the day we can take them to be spayed! We don't want to go through this again! Am I right in thinking 8 weeks after the end of the season? Does that mean 8 weeks from when they stop bleeding, as I know the season continues after the bleeding?

TIA :)

Back