The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Schooling - When To Learn

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but as I couldn't find a link was wondering if someone would advise(or provide a link to the topic) on the appropriate age to school whippet pups. Our oldest dog is approaching 10 months and we intend to race him but i've heard conflicting opinions on when and how to go about starting them racing. Any views would be appreciated. Thanks

(Also posted in pedigree whippet racing section)

all depends on how the dog is. if he is keen like some they can be started earlier than others. me personally would start slipping them about 20-30 yards at about 8/9 months old but some leave it later and some start earlier but there is no rush for puppies. hope it helps.

Obviously if it's the first pup you've trained then seek advice, but i'm a great believer in go with your instinct, you do get a feel for what your pup is ready to do imo as long as you take it at the dogs own pace and not try to push it when it isn't ready.

I know some people that hang back with pups but i know fine well they'll slog them into the ground once they start running - defeats the object if you ask me.

TAKE YOUR TIME WITH EM I THINK,AND RUN EM IN THE PUPPY CLASSES THEN YEARLINGS,NO NEED TO PUSH EM,SOME THINK COS THEY RUN WELL AGAINST OTHER PUPS,YEARLINGS THEN THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN WITH THE ADULTS,ADULT RACING IS HARD AND COULD RUIN A YOUNG DOG THAT KEEPS FINISHING WELL BACK IN THE FIELD.

depends how it bred, how leggy it is and how strong it is,if there is a some greyhound in there well take ye time,just make sure u get it really keane on that lure thats half the battle

not before 7or 8 months dog needs time to grow and develope just my opinion :)

Steve & Julie always had theirs going really young and nothing was ever said, Sasparella was going full 150yd out of the traps at 6 months and she ran into being veteran age so it obviously did her no harm.

Makes you wonder if dogs that have been injured as pups would have been injured anyway regardless of when they were started off? or does it depend on how you're exercising them the rest of the time?

Thanks for the good advice.

Took the 9 month old to the local club today where I got lots of advice.

He was handslipped twice on runs of about 50 yards.

Seemed to be chasing a lot better second time so I guess this could be a new hobby for me taking it a bit at a time week on week.

Definately good fun.

good luck with your new hobby weedug :luck: a word of warning... whippet racing is ADDICTIVE lol

sherry said:
good luck with your new hobby weedug  :luck:   a word of warning... whippet racing is ADDICTIVE lol

Point taken - we bought Whippet no 2 at xmas 4 months after the first one.

2 is enough though.................... :thumbsup:

weedug said:
sherry said:
good luck with your new hobby weedug  :luck:   a word of warning... whippet racing is ADDICTIVE lol

Point taken - we bought Whippet no 2 at xmas 4 months after the first one.

2 is enough though.................... :thumbsup:

yes one was enuf for me lol ive now got 4 although 2 are retired. ;)

2 is enough ... where have I heard that before ... :- "

We had 2 but then bred from our first bitch and kept 2 pups from the litter :lol:

u wait till the bug bites (victory) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: it makes it all seem so wirth wile

Back