The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Schooling - When To Learn

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but as I couldn't find a link was wondering if someone would advise(or provide a link to the topic) on the appropriate age to school whippet pups. Our oldest dog is approaching 10 months and we intend to race him but i've heard conflicting opinions on when and how to go about starting them racing. Any views would be appreciated. Thanks

theres is alot of diffrent ways, depending on size what i hav been doing and my pup is 25lb is giving him little dashes on the lure at 71/2 month if he was bigger i would hav waited longer, now as for training some start at finish line and work back,fewer people i hav noticed today start at the trap first this is the older way,and also u can train the pup on trap at 6months before it even goes to track about 10yard or so get it used to it ,most people might disagree with me here but most people dont hav a trap in there back garden,i will be racing mine hopfully at 10months in puppy race depending how he is doing again some people dont belive in pup racing and they wait till 12month.THE BEST thing is to do,follow ur instinks,every whippet is diffrent watch wot other people r doing with theres and pick it up from there just dont over run ur wee dog wen its training :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a trap in the garden, etc, etc and there's no race clubs near me.

My whippet has raced handslipped at lurcher meets, and last summer (when he was 10 month's old) he had a week of training at a club in Scotland ... he was a bit awkward coming out of the trap but improving every day

A year later, do you think he'll remember what he learned last summer?

Back