The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Rescue Saluki

pailo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to you all out there,I have recently got a 4 and a 1/2 year old saluki dog from a rescue kennel and would like some advice. My dog is very good in the house he bonded with me straight away,he is also good with other people, but when out for a walk if he sees any other dogs he starts to get agitated and is starting to become quite aggresive towards them.I have taken him on a group dog walking session where he behaved very well no barking or growling at all. Also He is very picky with his food sometimes he will eat and other times he will not eat at all,I have fed him boiled chicken and biscuits, tripe and mixed veg. Any comments or ideas very welcome.

Thanks. Pailo :unsure:

hi, welcome

if you post this in general dog discussion more people will see it

if he's a rescue and insecure then you are now his rock and sounds like he may be protective of you if he was on a group walk and was ok

i would try to spot the other dog before he does and keep a yummy treat handy then if he reacts firmly say no get his attention with the treat and if he stops the behaviour for a second reward him have another tread ready if he reacts say no if he stops reward etc couple times then steer away from the other dog so he learns if he doesnt react he gets a treat

good luck with him

hi, welcomeif you post this in general dog discussion more people will see it

if he's a rescue and insecure then you are now his rock and sounds like he may be protective of you if he was on a group walk and was ok

i would try to spot the other dog before he does and keep a yummy treat handy then if he reacts firmly say no get his attention with the treat and if he stops the behaviour for a second reward him have another tread ready if he reacts say no if he stops reward etc couple times then steer away from the other dog so he learns if he doesnt react he gets a treat

good luck with him

Back