The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Rescue 2 year old parson russell split personality

Chris and Lynne

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I have been looking for advice about our Parson Russell (Max) but not from a professionals but did not know a forum existed, till tonight!!

We got Maxie from rescue about 8 weeks ago and in most respects he is wonderful . He is two ish years old and is well house trained, is lovely with our grand children (providing they are not too boistrous with him!) is very clean, good looking, walks well on the lead, does not eat too much and loves his new home. We are both in our late 60s so he is going to be our last dog!! We both love him!!

When we got him from rescue the blurb said that he had had a "rough start to life" and we now believe that he was bred by itinerants and has a docked tail(far too short) and scars to his face and legs so little imagination is needed to understand what he was bred for.

So you have a brief descrition of his history now the very clear and present problem:-

When I (male 67 ish) take him out he is fightened of other dogs (any dogs) and clings to me , somtimes slipping his lead and running away! I can calm him by sitting with him and giving him verbal reassurances and treats until the "danger" has passed but if my wife takes him he is COMPLETELY the opposite and wants to attack and kill the dog no matter what size. The same applies if the three of us are together!! He attacked and bit in the face/mouth, a large, but very young German Shepherd whilst on the lead 3 weeks ago. This altercation landed me in A & E after I split them up !! (Leave em to it next time I feel!)

Maxie, bless him , has taken on the roll of Alpha Male when with my wife and is her protector even when I am there and is violent in the extreme . But is timid, in the extreme, whilst with me on my own!!

He will be a behaviourist's nightmare and I fear we will be throwing MORE good money after bad if we persue the "proffessional" line .

What Max fails to realise is that, whilst getting him was my wife's idea, the situation for her is becoming untenable and in the long term, if he does not improve , he will have to go back as we can't spend our dotage trying to live with a violent thug!!

So you see the problem. Whilst I absolutely dote on him and will be devastated if he goes ,as will my wife, we have to solve this problem. He loves his mistress to distraction so what can be done to stop him attacking other dogs.

Chris PS As a bad speller, where's t' spell checker???

hello :) im afraid this reply is nothing to do with any advice as i would be well and truly at a stump i was just going to ask [if you dont mind this is] have you been able to sort something out and is he any better with other dogs, poor thing must have had a rough time previously, Jen

Our 2 year old black lab is showing similar trait,s to your dog. He is very nervous on the street,s when walking him to the park, and he greet,s some dog,s very aggressively, for no reason. He was not like this till he was neutered. Such a lovely dog before, but now when we take him out it,s a lottery whether he goes for another dog.

Back