The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Quick Question About Colour??

fatwhippet

Registered
Reaction score
i love black dogs and it has always been a wish of mine to one day own a pedigree black whippet. i have been told that not many people breed blacks though because they dont do as well in the show ring, is this true??

it's not that i am activly seeking another whippet (although if one arrives it will always be welcome :) ) but i was just looking at Rabbitrunner's dog Sam, he is lovely btw, so i thought that i would ask all of you experienced people out there how likely it is that i might one day get one ????

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say very likely too.

000_0064.jpg

never say never :D

Picture_273.jpg

your dogs are beautiful :wub: , there really is something special about a glossy black coat. :D

are there any specific breeders that i should look out for that have black whippets? or does it just depend on the individual litter? obviously i realise that no one can guarentee what colours they will get in a litter but certain colours produce certain pups, right??

like i said, i am not particulary on the look out now but would like to do a bit of homework for later in the year.

fatwhippet said:
your dogs are beautiful  :wub: ,  there really is something special about a glossy black coat.  :D
are there any specific breeders that i should look out for that have black whippets? or does it just depend on the individual litter?  obviously i realise that no one can guarentee what colours they will get in a litter but certain colours produce certain pups, right??

like i said, i am not particulary on the look out now but would like to do a bit of homework for later in the year.

To get black you need at least one parent to be black (or solid blue). The chances are black parent will produce litter with half of the pups black (or blue). So if you look for black dog or bitch just about to have a litter there should be black pup for you :luck: :luck: :luck:

gorgeous blacks by the way :wub: :wub:

My" late" blue dog first litter,the bitch was a red brindle and there was one black pup who i see sometimes.

Back