The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Question To Breeders - Administering Vaccinations

kissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies for not posting in a long time! I've been doing a full time uni degree plus working plus taking care of my girl which leaves me little spare time, hope everyone is doing well!

Ok here is the situation:

My husband and I decided to get a pup so Belle would have a friend (Belle is 2 1/2 years old now, the pup is 4 months). As the pup is older than Belle was (we got Belle at 2 months) she has had the required worming and vaccinations and the next vaccine she is due for is in about a year. So I took Daisy (the pup) to the vets to register her and to have a general check over, she was fine and healthy in every way, really a good pup but when the vet saw the vaccination record he was concerned as the card wasn't signed by a vet. He said that only vets can administer vaccines, went into a long conversation about possible problems with kenneling if we would ever need, were the vaccines stored correctly if they weren't administered by a vet, etc. So that got me a bit worried, cause you want to make sure that your pup is vaccinated but you don't want to vaccinate her unnecessarily, you know? I have a good relationship with my breeder so as he suggested, I queried this with her, she said my vet was incorrect as she is allowed to vaccinate any dog that she personally owns, but it is illegal for any layperson to administer vaccines to dogs that don't belong to them (not her exact words, I am paraphrasing) She then assured me she wouldn't do anything illegal and that was fine for me to query that, and there was no hard feelings.

So who is right? Are breeders allowed to administer vaccines to pups in their ownership? Here is an exact quote from her email:

"We always vaccinate our puppies at 6 weeks as a prevention against Parvo virus which is very prevalent at the moment, and use either a specific vaccine for Parvo, or a combined vaccine which covers all the diseases a dog may contract. Depending on whether the pups are still with us at 8,10,12 weeks dictates if they receive a 2nd/3rd vaccine.

My vet happily sells me the vaccines knowing that I administer them, which he wouldn't do if it were illegal. I can assure you the vaccines are stored and administered as directed by the drug companies."

Here are some pictures of my girls Belle and little Daisy :wub:

daisy_and_belle_on_bed11.jpg

two more of Daisy the pup

daisy_on_bed1.jpgdaisy_close_up1.jpg

Thanks for reading, Sari :)

PS if my breeder is on here I honestly don't mean to offend, I'm just so confused!

i have no idea whos right and whos wrong,

but it seems to me that its maybe not illegal for breeders to administer the vacs but like the vet said you would have trouble getting the pup kenneled as it wasnt done offically.

hopfully someone will be able to set you right,

just want to say your girls are gorgeous and they look so similar :wub: :wub:

:huggles:

Just wanted to say your girls are gorgeous :wub: :wub:

Sorry don't know the answer to the question :wacko:

Lovely pictures of two beautiful whippies :thumbsup:

The vaccination record card should have the type and batch number of the dose which was administered to your pup by the breeder.

This is a necessary requirement to ensure that the vaccine used was in date and can be used to trace the specific vial used on it's journey from the manufacturer to your puppy.

If there is no batch number on the record card, then you cannot trace the vaccine back and you cannot know for sure if your pup has effective protection or not :unsure:

I work at a vets so will ask the`boss`tomorrow for you

Thank you all for your comments/compliments :)

The vaccination record card has all of the batch stickers from the individual vaccines on them. They were all in date when administered. so all of the lot numbers are on the record card.

My vet just said that it was illegal for breeders to do this themselves... and that without a vets signature along with the stickers in the vaccination card, it was worthless basically (in case they had to be kenneled).

He said she is wrong to administer, She said he is misinformed, that as a breeder she can administer to pups that she rightfully owns but no others.....so I guess I was just curious as to who is right :)

Last edited by a moderator:
just want to say your girls are gorgeous and they look so similar :wub: :wub: :huggles:
They aren't really related funnily enough, only distantly, I do like my particolours though :D

/I love them all would have a dozen if I had the room (w00t)

I work at a vets so will ask the`boss`tomorrow for you
Ah cheers for that...! That's why I'm confused by it all as this was a vet that specifically told me this but I find it hard to believe that this breeder would do it any other way than by the book

:)

Lovely pictures of two beautiful whippies :thumbsup:
The vaccination record card should have the type and batch number of the dose which was administered to your pup by the breeder.

This is a necessary requirement to ensure that the vaccine used was in date and can be used to trace the specific vial used on it's journey from the manufacturer to your puppy.

If there is no batch number on the record card, then you cannot trace the vaccine back and you cannot know for sure if your pup has effective protection or not :unsure:
That is correct. I vaccinated my coursing greyhounds myself because they were not supposed to leave the premises before they had been identified by the greyhound stud book official (and it is not really practical to take nine four month old greyhounds who have never been on a lead to the vet :) ) However, when it came to the second shot, I took some of them for an offical, vet's shot so they would get offical cards. The problem for your puppy is that she probably has had some sort of vaccine so it would be extremely inadvisable to give her another course so young. If she were mine, I would wait until she was about 15 months and then start again.

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

the vets can be funny. when I got Eskil he had had his first vacination. I called up my vet to get an appointment for the 2nd, but since they use a different brand I was told they would re-vacinate and Eskil would have two vacinations. didn't think it's either good for the pup or wallet, so just took him back to the vets where the breeder had them done.

For vets vaccinations are the bread & butter. They do not like to lose the business. :)

I have enquired with my vet about this and been told that NOBODY apart from a vet should be vaccinating puppies .

The vet checks the puppies at the same time as giving the vaccine . If the breeder were to vaccinate then who is listening to the pup's heart etc .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I thought there would be a more clear answer. Not talking about you who've replied but just on the internet, etc.

It seems all vets are saying nobody should give vaccinations, but as someone else said, they probably would say that since it's their business.

Other people have said that they themselves have vaccinated their pups.

Thanks again to everyone who have replied :)

Back