The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Puppy Growth

sleddog

Registered
Reaction score
just out of interest if a pup is 26 inchs at ten mounths old how much taller would he be expected to grow are most lurchers finished height wise at 12 mounths

sleddog said:
just out of interest if a pup is 26 inchs at ten mounths old how much taller would he be expected to grow are most lurchers finished height wise at 12 mounths
this is a popular question. i have to say i personally think theres no guaranteed equation or coefficient to calculate lurcher growth rates. i asked this about my China and the nonsense answers i got back from some of the johnny-know-alls from my own area lol i was told she wont stop growing till shes 19 months then i was told shes defo finished at 10 months.

what ive bred from Storm were grouwing like crazy at about a year then stopped overnight. i suppose it depends on you mix of lurcher. your dog id hazard a guess at another inch or inch and a half....then hel get body to his physique. im assuming theres deerhound there somewhere.. ?

stormydog said:
sleddog said:
this is a popular question. i have to say i personally think theres no guaranteed equation or coefficient to calculate lurcher growth rates. i asked this about my China and the nonsense answers i got back from some of the johnny-know-alls from my own area lol i was told she wont stop growing till shes 19 months then i was told shes defo finished at 10 months.

what ive bred from Storm were grouwing like crazy at about a year then stopped overnight. i suppose it depends on you mix of lurcher. your dog id hazard a guess at another inch or inch and a half....then hel get body to his physique. im assuming theres deerhound there somewhere.. ?

thanks stormydog i thought about an inch or so . no deerhound in him 5/8 grey cross had lots of dogs but this is my first sighthound just woundered if they were the same

hi, we are having similar thoughts !!

Our pup is not yet 4 months and is almost 20" , we were told he was a whippet x, but we are liking whippet x dinosaur !!!!

cuddles.jpg

becci said:
hi, we are having similar thoughts !!
Our pup is not yet 4 months and is almost 20" , we were told he was a whippet x, but we are liking whippet x dinosaur !!!!

View attachment 54968

if its any help my pup grew at about 2 inchs a mounth for the first six mounths then at 1inch for the next four hes now starting to put on body mass as well he was 13 inchs at 8 weeks

This subject interests me as our puppy is now just over 5 months old and is 25" tall. He is 2nd cross Greyhound Deerhound and I think (and hope!) that he'll get to about 30". Would I be right in thinking that?

Horsie said:
This subject interests me as our puppy is now just over 5 months old and is 25" tall.  He is 2nd cross Greyhound Deerhound and I think (and hope!) that he'll get to about 30".  Would I be right in thinking that?
as far as i understand it the larger the dog the later the growth plates fuse in the legs this happens between 8 and 14 mounths so your pup may well reach over 30 inchs if he was a sled dog of that size i would exspect him to keep puting on weight until he was 2 and reach final height at 14 mounths

it does all add to the excitement of watching them grow.....Harrison is almost 4 months and 20". At the moment he is growing an inch a week, and already stretches the length of the 3 seater in the evening ( much to my husbands delight :- " )

profile_2.jpg

becci said:
and already stretches the length of the 3 seater in the evening ( much to my husbands delight  :- "  )

I can join that club! We thought that it was OUR sofa but it appears to be Lenny's!

Is it a Lurcher thing?

sleddog said:
Horsie said:
This subject interests me as our puppy is now just over 5 months old and is 25" tall.  He is 2nd cross Greyhound Deerhound and I think (and hope!) that he'll get to about 30".  Would I be right in thinking that?
as far as i understand it the larger the dog the later the growth plates fuse in the legs this happens between 8 and 14 mounths so your pup may well reach over 30 inchs if he was a sled dog of that size i would exspect him to keep puting on weight until he was 2 and reach final height at 14 mounths

sounds abot right they reach there final height at 14 months we found this with our bitch zena :thumbsup:

Back