The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

POT LUCK!!!!!!!!!

JoJess

Registered
Reaction score
ok, what  do you all think to this. Running in weight groups does not give a true picture of whippet racing nor a fare race,  not just for the heavyweights but also for the lightweights as many good lightweights  get knocked out in a heat and never get to run in a class final. so racing would be pot luck you would enter and you would run as weighed no classes all in at 2ft a pound.....what do u think ???

Distance,, we could try 160 as thats the middle distance see how it worked then try 150 and so on, make it so all weights could have a win.......... :p   :p

good one pat i knew some body would come up with a desent venue :D

:p can any one else think of a decent format which we could try :D   :p   ;)

Not sure about this one all in is okay as it is used in consulation racing.  Im not sure if it would work as the main format.  Let say its 150 yd lb all in as someone who has raced a 32lb dog there is no way I would travel to a open using the all in format as the main format unless its local incase I drew four 18lb ers because there is no way my dog would have caught them and if I did race them imagine those 18lb ers at the lure at the end when my dog arrived there a bit risky I think.  Then at 160 yd lb it could go the other way with people with light dogs not traveling because of the above the other way around.  As I said its used in consulation racing as a extra choice where people who want can have another run.  Maybe I set my standerds low but when I travel to a open I try to win my weight group and anything else is a bonus.  Also what effect would all in racing have on the top ten.  I agree we need some different formats but most opens are now run at established distances so I wonder if clubs would change the formats.  The Scottish Championships were run at 150 yd front dog at 2ft lb and there was some close races there and a 32lb dog took supreme.

Well said JOhn, it is very risky for the little uns when a 32 lb dog is running in at them whilstthey are on the lure,i ran Fancy Free in two different finals with two very good 32lbers Cheeky Madam and Cool Whisper, but both times she was injured due to her being a lure dog and stopping with the lure regardless, costly yes and stops you racing just when you have done all the hard training ,, just something to think about........... :p   :p   :p

One of the reasons I dislike yard/pound ( over short distances) is that it prevents all-in racing. The larger whippets have no chance of winning so they don`t turn up ( look at the entries for the Jack Cadman open). To accomadate this we run in weight classes - effectively scratch racing - and the larger dogs withdraw from the final. All-in racing only works if all whippets have an equal chance of winning.

As to injuries at the lure - it is safer if all dogs are arriving at the lure at the same time instead of having the heavier dogs arriving at the lure after the lighter ones have already stopped. It would be reasonable to drop the maximium weight limit though.

Tony

Yes Tony i agree with you when you say it is a lot better for the little uns and big uns all to arrive on the lure at the same time, however  as i have said not all the big ones withdraw from finals all the time hence mine have been injured many times , but i think the idea of having two supremes ran over 150 yds at yard a pound would be ideal and would probably settle the argument of the big uns not having a fare race....

Back