The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Post Op Problems

chase69

Registered
Reaction score
Chase had was neutered 3 weeks ago and had a benign growth removed from his leg and his undescended testicle removed and all is well with what he has had done . Last wednesday I noticed a small lump on his neck (on the side slightly to the back) i took him to the vets on friday and he said nothing to worry about its only in the skin and it could be where they injected him for op and now he is having slight reaction or could be a hematoba (spelt wrong i know) go back in 2 weeks if not gone. ANY advice or experience of this would be great. many thanks

It sounds the same as my Jinny has every time she has an injection!

She is allergic to metal and the needle sets up a reaction which culminates in a lump a while after the event.

This can be quite large initially and takes a long time to subside completely - up to 5 weeks the first time it happened.

My vet is now very careful where and how they inject her as we know she will have this reaction.

Don't worry too much - it always looks far worse than it is :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryn tends to get quite large swellings anywhere he has had an injection,we just gently massage the area twice a day and it usually goes down within two to three days.

Thankyou feel much better will leave it a few weeks before we return to vets if doesnt go down and will try massaging it as well.

Thankyou feel much better will leave it a few weeks before we return to vets if doesnt go down and will try massaging it as well.
to be honest if it's still there in two weeks it would be a good idea to go back and get it re-checked as it should be well gone by then.

I agree if it's not gone in 2 weeks to take him back. A similar thing happened to Muffin when he had a routine blood test along with his booster. He developed a lump and a massive bruise that started travelling down his neck. I took him back to the vet because I was really worried and he said the lump and the bruise would be gone in a week and it was. :) The bruise ended up on his chest before it disappeared - poor boy!

20090305_2216.jpg

Just realised this picture is the same as in my signature, but that one has the bruise Photoshopped out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back