The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pilchards/sardines....

Karen-Coral

Registered
Reaction score
Who feeds their dog/s sardines/pilchards?

An amazing bit of info...here for you all-

Only 31p at Asda at the moment for a 425g can-Glenryck-(good make)! in tomato sauce

thats 1/2 price!

Stock up now. :clown:

Karen

Yes I feed both :thumbsup:

and buy that brand from Asda too, in brine, sunflower oil and tomato sauce...they dont mind which... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt know you could give them it in tomoto sauce :blink:

iv just stocked up on sainsburys sardines in salt water, 35p a tin, :thumbsup:

Mine love tomato sauce...tomatoes are very good for them Katie.,.. :thumbsup:

I often mix a tin of chopped tomatoes in their feed at night..they cant get enough of it.. :thumbsup:

We've always got a tray of tins of sardines in tomato sauce in the cupboard. The whips love them. They have them a couple of times a week. 18p a tin in Asda :cheers:

62p in brine......

only the tomato sauce one on offer 8)

yes-tomatoes are very good for dogs-

I'm rinsing it off for one of my dogs though because she has an acid problem-and is on a very bland diet at the moment.

rls22 said:
We've always got a tray of tins of sardines in tomato sauce in the cupboard.  The whips love them.  They have them a couple of times a week. 18p a tin in Asda  :cheers:
Yep-18p-smart price-but they don't have ring pulls though :(

Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:
We've always got a tray of tins of sardines in tomato sauce in the cupboard.  The whips love them.  They have them a couple of times a week. 18p a tin in Asda  :cheers:

No ring pulls - I just make my OH get the tin opener out. Hurts my poor little hands trying to open them :- " :lol:

rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:

No ring pulls - I just make my OH get the tin opener out. Hurts my poor little hands trying to open them :- " :lol:

Lol-If you're opening a number of tins-8/10 a ring pull is a must. Too fiddly with tin opener.

Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:

Lol-If you're opening a number of tins-8/10 a ring pull is a must. Too fiddly with tin opener.

Wouldn't envy you that task!!

I am moaning if I have to do 3 tins :b It seriously hurts!

k4tie-d said:
i didnt know you could give them it in tomoto sauce :blink: iv just stocked up on sainsburys sardines in salt water, 35p a tin, :thumbsup:

:eek: Those ones in brine have far too much salt for dogs. Even if you rinse it off it's still too much for them. You're much better with the tomato sauce or the ones in oil.

My lot love them both and we get the large tins of pilchards in Tesco for around 45p. There's usually six big fish in the tin so they get one each... plus the sauce. :thumbsup:

Well you learn something new every day! (w00t) I've never thought to give the whippets sardines - I'm off to Tescos to stock up! :lol:

rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:

You need an electic tin opener :thumbsup: you just need to stand back at the end so it doesnt splat you (w00t)

Funny this topic coming up because we buy sardines and green beans for the dogs from tesco & usually buy about 20 tins at a time anyway I went shopping yesterday and they have made a new policy that you can only buy 10 of anything at a time :oops: we must have been clearing them out :lol:

Mine like them but I have been told not to buy the ones in brine too as they contain too much salt. I get the ones in oil mainly because my 2 will sometimes like the ones in tomato juice and sometimes they will turn their noses up :wacko:

I think it depends on the brand :p they seem to like those sardinellas in a round tin but a lot smaller than a normal size tin :) and they just happen to be quite cheap which is good - my dogs obviously don't have expensive taste :lol:

just bought the pilchards and mackerel for the week at morrisons ( full price too :rant: ) think a trip up to asda will be worth it :thumbsup: mine love tomatoes too :D

yes gypsy has them..........she loves them, tesco do them pretty cheap as well, i like them on toast, so me and gypo have to share them :D

*Lesley* said:
rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:
Karen-Coral said:
rls22 said:

You need an electic tin opener :thumbsup: you just need to stand back at the end so it doesnt splat you (w00t)

Funny this topic coming up because we buy sardines and green beans for the dogs from tesco & usually buy about 20 tins at a time anyway I went shopping yesterday and they have made a new policy that you can only buy 10 of anything at a time :oops: we must have been clearing them out :lol:

Green Beans....Never really fed them before/only as leftovers from our plates-any particular reason? benefit?

Yes you're right- I'll look out for an electric opener :thumbsup:

I feed green beans....but raw and blitzed up in the food processor...my dogs love raw veggies with their meals. They are great for bulking up the meat, especially for dogs that maybe need to lose a little weight. :thumbsup:

Mine are on the BARF diet, so I feed raw veggies most nights.

Back