The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Pet Insurance

cuddly

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Could anyone give me some information about insurance for my new whippet pup.

Are they all good ?

Do they cover for all illness ?

Also if the dog had a long term illness would it be covered ?

There are so many, how do i choose !

:unsure:

:) I have found Marks and Spenser are good.

You can find out more on line, and take out the insurance :thumbsup:

Hi Cuddly,

If you go to FAQ and then look under insurance you will find previous topics with lots of excellent information. I'm sorry I can't put in a link, but I am so useless with the computer :b

I have two whippets, and have them both insured. I was with Petplan but have since switched to M and S further to one of the threads, and am very happy.

I have made one claim and it was very quick and efficient, no problems :thumbsup:

Good luck in whatever you decide

Tracy

after dealing with claims for owners for years...i found pet plan to be the best by far! :thumbsup: so many of them look similar until you claim and then they really show their true colours...slow payouts/hassle/loads of paperwork/exclusions in the future etc...things that are really hard to judge just from looking at their literature :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Marks and Spencer pet insurance, underwritten by Axa.

I chose their no excess policy, costs £10.65 a month for Annie.

I recently claimed on a vet bill for £38.00. My vet couldn't believe it was a no excess policy and she sent the claim form away for me too. Had confirmation from M&S that they had processed the claim and my vet had been paid directly. Everthing was very easy and no hassle.

If you go for an excess on your policy the premium would be even cheaper.

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Cuddly.[/SIZE]

I went throught his on here around 9 months ago for insurance for Codie.

I was directed to another page which I cant find now.

But the long and short of it was that most people recommended Marks & Spencers.

I took the no excess policy and it is only just over £10 per month.

Compared to others it has a lot better cover also which is more important than the price.....

I hope this is of some help......

:cheers:

[SIZE=14pt]Gavin[/SIZE]

cuddly said:
Hi
Could anyone give me some information about insurance for my new whippet pup.

Are they all good ?

Do they cover for all illness ?

Also if the dog had a long term illness would it be covered ?

There are so many,  how do i choose !

Hi

I use Petplan, they charge a one off lifetime fee of 50:00. Havent used them yet, but this is better than 14:00 a month we were originally paying!

:unsure:

Yes, it is hard to choose. I was with E & L for Chloe and it was costing nearly £20 a month. They were not great when it came to making a claim for Panosteitis, and kept putting the price up all the time.

Im now with Marks and Spencers, and the cost for Frankie and Chloe is the same as just Chlow at E & L!

One thing to bear in mind - some say they will cover a particular illness for the life of the pet, not just for the insurance year. However, they put the premium up so much it is not really worth while insuring. eg. my mothers SBT had mammary tumours for the first time aged around 6. Insurance paid out for operation, but when premium came up for renewal it was £30 a month! My parents decided not to renew. She is now nearly 12 and has had 3 further tumour removals, each costing around £100 - this only amounts to 10 months of premiums, so it was a good decision not to keep her insured!

I have one on More than, and one on M and S, havent had to claim yet so dont know which is best...

mazza said:
I use Marks and Spencer pet insurance, underwritten by Axa.I chose their no excess policy, costs £10.65 a month for Annie.

I  recently claimed on a vet bill for £38.00. My vet couldn't believe it was a no excess policy and she sent the claim form away for me too. Had confirmation from M&S that they had processed the claim and my vet had been paid directly. Everthing was very easy and no hassle.

If you go for an excess on your policy the premium would be even cheaper.

that sounds great :D ...marks and spencers didnt have pet insurance policies when i was at the vets so i have no experience of them but no excess sounds great :thumbsup:

Both Kass and Bella with M&S no excess £10.65 a month lifetime cover 8 months in Kass got Meningitis which cost in excess of £2500.00 all bills were paid very quickly, when i bought BELLA she had 6 weeks free cover with petplan and at the end of the free cover they sent me a quote for £ 26.00 per month with an £80.00 excess!

Mine are on M&S with no excess. I have just claimed for Tiny's cough and they paid up really quickly and no hassle. :thumbsup:

Dylan isn't a whippet, he's a lurcher..whippetxgreyhound...but similar enough! I use M & S, literally putting a claim in as we speak, hopefully they will pay quickly. I've got the no excess option, they cover the consultation too, not just the medication.

i'm with M & S for tilly. Just don't mention racing or working if they ask :thumbsup:

Sparky is with M&S, excellent service. Our cat, who is 14, is still with Petplan because she has been since a kitten, only had to claim once and again excellent service.

Jenny

masta said:
Both Kass and  Bella with M&S no excess £10.65 a month lifetime cover 8 months in Kass got Meningitis which cost in excess of £2500.00 all bills were paid very quickly, when i bought BELLA she had 6 weeks free cover with petplan and at the end of the free cover they sent me a quote for £ 26.00 per month with an £80.00 excess!
yes petplan are expensive...i have a £65 excess and i pay (including a discount for a multipet household) over £65 a month!.. (w00t) i might have a look at this m+s one :thumbsup:

What ever you decide

[SIZE=21pt]DO NOT USE E& L [/SIZE]

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :rant: :rant: :rant:

Trust me , ive had experiance of them on more than one occasion ;)

~whitecross whippets~ said:
masta said:
Both Kass and  Bella with M&S no excess £10.65 a month lifetime cover 8 months in Kass got Meningitis which cost in excess of £2500.00 all bills were paid very quickly, when i bought BELLA she had 6 weeks free cover with petplan and at the end of the free cover they sent me a quote for £ 26.00 per month with an £80.00 excess!
yes petplan are expensive...i have a £65 excess and i pay (including a discount for a multipet household) over £65 a month!.. (w00t) i might have a look at this m+s one :thumbsup:

give it a go you can get a quote on their site i used to work with private medical insurance and tend to read through terms etc the good thing about all insurance is that they have to be upfront with what they allow etc and i can vouch for their service and payment, i had more trouble with the vet surgery i had to pay upfront and problems when i wanted copies of claim forms etc :thumbsup:

masta said:
~whitecross whippets~ said:
masta said:

give it a go you can get a quote on their site i used to work with private medical insurance and tend to read through terms etc the good thing about all insurance is that they have to be upfront with what they allow etc and i can vouch for their service and payment, i had more trouble with the vet surgery i had to pay upfront and problems when i wanted copies of claim forms etc :thumbsup:

well ive took your advice (w00t) ...i cancelled all 3 dog policies with petplan (not my rabbit ones though) and have insured them with marks and spencers.....no excess and for just over £30 for all 3 :thumbsup:

i asked them all the questions under the sun and it does seem as good as they say o:) no excess is amazing!!!!...i am a bit nervous cos ive always used petplan ...but i am very pleased...thanks :cheers:

Back