The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Our Deaf Whippet Needs A Friend

dec n clare

Registered
Reaction score
decandclare@hotmail.com :thumbsup:

Hi all I'm a virgin at this forum stuff so bear with me plz. My wife and I have a white whippet dog a real hansome lad but unfortunatley for him he was born deaf. He's 8 month old and now has settled into life nicely and is a lot of fun. He loves other dogs but we have to be carefull where he free runs, a hearing companion we believe would be good for him . We have searched our local rescue homes but cannot find any. can anybody help. We are not looking for a working dog or a dog with papers just a whippet that needs a home. Whippets rule!!!!!!!!!

Hi and Welcome to K9 , sorry to hear your white whippet is deaf :( but Im sure still enjoying life. :thumbsup:

My dog Oscar is now 6 months and I got him from a Breeder on K9, Ive had 2 previous whippets. If you on searching on here, past threads too - there are often puppies being born and also dogs in need of rehoming.

Good Luck :luck: :thumbsup:

dec n clare said:
decandclare@hotmail.com :thumbsup: Hi all I'm a virgin at this forum stuff so bear with me plz. My wife and I have a white whippet dog a real hansome lad but unfortunatley for him he was born deaf. He's 8 month old and now has settled into life nicely and is a lot of fun. He loves other dogs but we have to be carefull where he free runs, a hearing companion we believe would be good for him . We have searched our local rescue homes but cannot find any. can anybody help. We are not looking for a working dog or a dog with papers just a whippet that needs a home. Whippets rule!!!!!!!!!

Bo our whippet

View attachment Turning.jpg

I cant see your picture - it maybe needs resizing ???

Welcome to K9!!!!!!!!!!! Have you tried JR whippet rescue yet (tel:01234 838927)? I am sure someone here will be able to help.

My first whippet came from a litter with a beautiful little white bitch that was deaf, I really wanted to have her but because we lived in the city decided it wasn't practical but to this day still wonder about her.

Good luck with your search and please post pictures of your boy!

-Jill

In my 17 year involvement with whippets these are the first two instances I've heard of deaf whippets.

I never believed it was a problem in whippets ... is it? How many people know of other deaf whippets and are they white?

Deafness was/is always a problem to be on the lookout for in Dalmatians - and when we had them everyone believed it was because of their basic white coat.

aslan said:
I never believed it was a problem in whippets ... is it?  How many people know of other deaf whippets and are they white?

I think it's purely due to having cells which lack pigment in the cochlea: these have a poorer blood supply which causes nerve damage hence profund deafness. This can happen in any breed that has white markings, obviously more likely with breeds or variations that have greater areas of white. It happens in white cats too. Proper explanation at:

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/genet.htm

Yes, probably a good idea to have a friend, nice for a dog anyway and might help with socializing, although most dog language seems to be visual. They probably feel less isolated than a deaf human would be as they live in a parallel universe of smells.

Ours is selectively stone deaf when you tell him not to do something ;) . Conversely whippets aren't very useful dogs if you are deaf yourself (as I am) as they're completely hopeless at telling you when the phone rings or someone's at the door.

Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all. thanks for the input. I dont think deafness is a problem with whippets like all creatures some are and some arn't. He seems to have had no problems adjusting but was a bit difficult to train at first. he likes to touch us when his eyes are closed, we assume cause he does'nt hear its a security thing. we did some research but found very little, even the vet didn't have a lot to offer. A gene thing the rest of his litter was blue.

He sounds lovely :wub: :wub: I hope you get a companion for him very soon :luck:

Forgot to say [SIZE=14pt]WELCOME TO K9[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
dec n clare said:
he likes to touch us when his eyes are closed, we assume cause he does'nt hear its a security thing.
I think it's just a whippet thing :wub: Ours often goes all 'needy', and could probably cope with being permanently cuddled! Welcome to k9 too, I only joined last week!!

Elizabeth

welcome to the whippet world try posting on the non-ped whippet racing section there is very often someone looking for a good pet home

Hi there,

Welcome to the k9 forum, i do hope you find a friend for Bo.

Lana, i knew of a whippet in NSW that is deaf and was shown a few times. She was red brindle and white. She was a beautiful and affectionate whippet. I know the breeders. All the others in the litter were ok, she was just a very special whippet.

Debra. :D

Oh good luck with your quest for a companion. As others haves said, keep watching this board, eventually you will hear of a litter or whippet looking for a home.

hi and welcome to k9.hope you find another whippy for him soon. :thumbsup: :wub: :wub:

aslan said:
In my 17 year involvement with whippets these are the first two instances I've heard of deaf whippets.I never believed it was a problem in whippets ... is it?  How many people know of other deaf whippets and are they white?

Deafness was/is always a problem to be on the lookout for in Dalmatians - and when we had them everyone believed it was because of their basic white coat.

Lana, I realise that this a very old thread, but I know of two white whippets who are deaf. Oddly enough they are both called Milly/Millie, and are local to Geelong

Both of the are from unregistered breeders of very poor reputation. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the younger of these two breeders got their early dogs from the old man in country Victoria.

dec n clare said:
decandclare@hotmail.com :thumbsup: Hi all I'm a virgin at this forum stuff so bear with me plz. My wife and I have a white whippet dog a real hansome lad but unfortunatley for him he was born deaf. He's 8 month old and now has settled into life nicely and is a lot of fun. He loves other dogs but we have to be carefull where he free runs, a hearing companion we believe would be good for him . We have searched our local rescue homes but cannot find any. can anybody help. We are not looking for a working dog or a dog with papers just a whippet that needs a home. Whippets rule!!!!!!!!!

Try J R Whippet Rescue Tel: 07980357994

This is a 3 and ahalf year old thread, I'd imagine they are sorted by now :thumbsup:

dec n clare said:

Hi there,

Picked up a deaf whippet puppy yesterday. White and beautiful as well. Do you have any ideas where to find a coat or collar or similar saying I am deaf other than USA???? Many thanks, and good luck,

Clare.

Back