The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

New Little Dog

Breeze mum

Registered
Reaction score
Have just taken in a 13-year-old Yorkshire terrier made homeless because of bereavement and no-one in their family wanting her. She came to us last night. So far Breeze, our greyhound, has mostly ignored her except for wanting to get at her food! We had quite a successful walk this morning together, no problems so far, except that Penny (the Yorkie) is hiding upstairs. Any advice from anyone regarding possible problems, how best to proceed etc? Would be very grateful for your experiences. Thanks.

Well done to you for taking her in :thumbsup:

I think she will be scared out of her wits . She has possibly lived a very quiet life and her whole world has been turned upside down .

I would let her settle for a few days but make every experience she has with you a good one , lots of cuddles , treats etc

She will be very clever and I don't think she will take long to come round :luck: :thumbsup: :luck:

much the same as hula, keep taking her out with breeze, giving them treats together and generally include her with everything you do with breeze, dogs get quite tramatised by the passing away of their owners, she will come out of helself in time, very intelligent breed the yorkie, well done for taking her in and good luck, wishing you all the best xx

What a lovely thing to do taking her in - I do hope she's doing OK.

In my experience if you were going to have any greyhound related introduction problems you'd have had them by now, I'd just watch the Yorkie when it starts to settle in!! :-

Good luck with the little one :))

How kind you are taking in this old little lady.I am sure,given time,she will settle.When we took on our older dog,she kept out of the way for a few days,but came round in her own time.Good luck,and i really hope everything goes well.Please keep us updated.

Amandaxx

Thank you all so much for your kind wishes and helpful comments. It's good to be able to find help and reassurance. OK so far with Breeze and Penny, Penny has been more lively today and hasn't hidden much at all. She has a good appetite, which is a hopeful sign. I left the two of them alone in the house together while I went for a bit of shopping, about 40 minutes, and everything seemed to be well when I got back. I'm just wondering what will happen on Monday as that is one of the days when both my husband and I are at work. Doesn't look as if Breeze is going to eat Penny, thank goodness!

Thanks again for replies - any more advice and reports of similar experiences will be gratefully received.

Good news :thumbsup:

Maybe you could leave them a little longer tomorrow so Monday doesn't come as too much of a shock ?

Lucky little lady to have found a new home however sad the cause of her needing one.

If she was hiding upstairs I'm guessing that was where she felt most secure ... maybe she'd benefit from a small crate with a comfy bed in and a blanket over the top as her own little hidey hole downstairs for a while, door left open of course. That said the more time the dogs spend together the sooner they'll bond. Good luck with her.

Annie

That is lovely that you have taken her in, poor little mite is more than likely missing her previous owner and a bit bewildered. I am sure she will settle soon enough with all the TLC that you are giving her :)) Good luck and would love to see some pics of her, when you have the chance to post them on :)

Kirsty

Bless her :wub: You're a star for giving her a new home :D

It must be very confusing for her after 13 years in the same home

but it sounds as though she has fallen on her feet with you :thumbsup:

No doubt she will come round, just a matter of time :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless her, her world has been turned upside down and she's probably very confused and overwhelmed by the change. Don't rush her, give her time to feel secure and bond with you and I'm sure she will soon come round and want to spend more time downstairs with the family.

The suggestion of a crate is a good idea - a little cosy den covered with a blanket where she feels safe but can be close to you might help her. You could also give her Rescue Remedy and try a DAP diffuser to take the edge off her anxieties.

How kind of you to give her a home - I'm sure she'll settle and become a loving little lapdog in time :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
No advice on bonding with another dog but I took on a 10yr old IG in June after his owner died. It has taken till now for him to really get close to me. He would snuggle in the corner of the sofa, well away from me, didn't want cuddles. It seemed as though he was always expecting his person to come for him, very sad, but he is now snuggling up to me at night. It is big upheaval for an older dog, just give her time and she will settle in.

Oh Dippy - how sad that was! I'm so glad your little chap is enjoying snuggles now. Penny seems to like quite a bit of fuss but she doesn't like me picking her up at the moment and won't sit on my knee for more than a minute or two. She seems to be doing very well though and isn't hiding much now. She's still a bit wary of Breeze but yesterday she lay down on the carpet just a couple of feet from Breeze's bed and had a little nap. Breeze has been an angel - this from a greyhound who was described as not safe with cats and small dogs when we got her from the RSPCA less than two years ago. No matter what Penny does there has been no bad reaction of any sort from Breeze. Everything was fine when we went to work.

The DAP diffuser idea was good, I'd forgotten about that, we had one that we used for Breeze at one time. I will try to do photos soon but I'm not exactly Mrs. Technology!

Thanks again to all you kind people.

Glad to hear Penny is doing well :thumbsup:

Back