The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

New bed for old dog

Juliatee

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the thing - my elderly spaniel's bean bag is in a parlous state, and needs topping up, she loves it and loves beating it around the place to make it comfortable.

As she has some spinal arthritis would she be better with a memory foam bed? (She likes my memory foam mattress!) or, if I left her the choice of both beds would she ignore her own new memory foam bed in favour of her old dear smelly impoverished bean bag!

I don't want to deprive her of what she loves in her old age .

An impossible question I know!

Any answers?

Juliatee

Our old lady (cocker spaniel) loved her new memory foam bed, it was about 4" deep and an oblong shape of medium size, just a flat bed with no sides. (plenty of room for all of her sleeping positions). She used to dig it up and throw it around and make it look a real mess, then she would sleep on top of it!!

She never used the beandag type ever again, her choice. I'm sure the memory foam is very warm and comfortable for our dear oldies.

All of our dogs like to take it in turn using the memory foam beds.

Empty the smelly bean-bag. Buy the thick big memory foam mattress and lay the smelly bean-bag cover (or a piece of it) on top. With a bit of luck she'll scrabble the smelly bit out of the way in no time .

Got to be honest my dogs have always enjoyed a charity shop duvet so the thing I do is get two duvets put into one cover , they love it and scramble things up a bit , I ain't spending big bucks on somethink they not sleep on.

I use a memory foam rectangle with a duvet on top, easy to wash and the foan give extra support.

Back