The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Need Help!!

jkbjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,well our puppy is now 14 week old.he is doing quite well in his toilet trainig but once he has had his wee outside feels the need to come inside and do another.also does alot of wee's when we are out of the room.is there anything we could mop the floors with to stop this or any training methods we could use or is this just a normal thing?we take him out every hour upto now.Any advice would be very helpfull.thanks.

jkbjackson said:
Hi,well our puppy is now 14 week old.he is doing quite well in his toilet trainig but once he has had his wee outside feels the need to come inside and do another.also does alot of wee's when we are out of the room.is there anything we could mop the floors with to stop this or any training methods we could use or is this just a normal thing?we take him out every hour upto now.Any advice would be very helpfull.thanks.
Hi jkbjackson,, Thought it time I bite the bullet, it being my first post on K9, :sweating: Have you thought of crate training your pup? its a safe environment for the times when you are not able to supervise your pup and will also assist you in house training your pup, a pup will not normally soil its own bed.

Be ready to put your pup outside after a sleep,meal, play, whenever your pup soils outside give it the command,, hurry up, it will eventually associate the command hurry up with soiling and go on demand, great on a winters night when your ready for bed -_- also handy if you want your dog to go prior to walking it in a public place,where not all dog lovers :rant: , Dont worry your not on your own :)) Im waiting on a litter to be born this month and if luck has it a pup in Oct :wub:

Regards Gary

You can buy enzyme solutions that get rid of stains and smells and that prevents the previous wee become the trigger for the next one (if you see what I mean - because a spot on the floor has a small trace of the smell of their wee they think it is the right place to do another). Crate training is a good idea because it does teach them to hold onto it until an appropriate time and place. There is plenty of advice about crate training on the web.

Welcome jkbjackon and liverpoolmitch to k9

Just like to say that it took my boy a while to be totaly clean indoors but he got there in the end ,( so keep taking pup outside after waking up,food play etc ) and i think crate training is a good idea :thumbsup:

I took Poppy outside every 10 minutes and whispered wee wee in her ear when I first got her then praised her when she had done one.

john gregory said:
I took Poppy outside every 10 minutes and whispered wee wee in her ear when I first got her then praised her when she had done one.
House training and teaching her french :teehee: Brilliant :- " :lol: sorry John,could,nt resist :clown: :cheers:

I have posted this previously, so apols for those that have seen it.

This was the information we included in our puppy packs regarding house training:

MORNING: As soon as either you or your puppy wakes up in the morning, you must take him outside. (Remember that it gets easier as the pup matures.) At the first whine or bark in the morning, you should open the crate door and take him outside. Take your puppy into the garden and tell him to “Go quickly”. (This command can be any term you want to use but must be used each and every time you want your dog to go do his business. This is very important.) When he does his business give him lots of praise.

DAYTIME: Your puppy’s activities should be monitored throughout the day when you or a family member is home. When he sniffs walks in circles or appears anxious, you should take him outside straight away. Successful house training depends on a quick response to such clues. If constant supervision is not possible put him in the crate – Whippets are clean dogs and it is rare that they will want to soil their sleeping area. If he does have an accident in the house, he should never be punished, however if you do catch him in the act, tell him “NO” very firmly and immediately take him outside.

If your puppy is going to be left alone for a few hours, he should be taken out just before you leave and then placed in the crate. When placing the dog in the crate and as you are leaving, be very matter of fact. If the dog gets the idea that you are upset because he is in the crate, you will soon see that the dog does not like the crate. Dogs “read” our emotions and body language. Show a positive attitude about crate training, visits to the vet and all other aspects of obedience training.

Having a radio playing, some safe toys etc should be sufficient to relieve most dogs’ anxiety of being left alone. If you have a dog that eats his toys or bedding, it is best that you leave those items out of the crate until he can be trusted. It is best to use inexpensive bedding for new pups. When returning home, you should again immediately take him outside.

If your puppy has been asleep during the day (puppies do sleep a lot), you should take him out as soon as he wakes up. When he does his business outside, make sure you give him lots of praise.

Even if they puppy is not showing any signs of needing to go out, we tend to take them to the garden at regular intervals anyway.

We have found Whippets to be easy dogs to housetrain if the basic rules are adhered to. You may find your pup has a bit of a relapse in his housetraining. This is usually the owners fault as we become lax once we think it‘s been cracked. If you do have a bit of a relapse, just go back to basics and things will quickly get back on track.

BEDTIME: Your puppy needs to go out one last time before being placed in the crate for the night. Keep in mind that a pup’s bladder is not as large as a mature dog’s. Sometimes a very young pup may wake quite early and ask to be let out. If this happens, put them outside with no eye contact or talking, quick praise for doing the wee outside and then put them back in the crate if its not time to get up yet. There may be a little resistance to going back to bed, but again, be firm and ignore any crying.

Back