The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Need help making decision to have pet dog put down

carleajam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, new here and could really do with some advice. I have an 11 year old pug who has lots of health issues. I don't have him insured anymore because it got too expensive as he had a cancerous lump removed about 5 years ago. I can't afford to have treatment for him. He has cataracts and has been blind for the past year. He also has two lumps which hang down under his chest which are non cancerous according to the vet. He has really bad teeth and I think he has gone deaf also. Despite all of this he still loves his food and goes out in the garden and I don't think he is in any pain but his quality of life is not good. I have another dog who is very boisterous and shows his authority and has gone for him a few times. This has made my pug very nervous and I feel so sorry for him and try to keep my other dog away from him as much as possible. If he was in pain I wouldnt hesitate to have him put down but the vet doesn't really give me much help other than saying if he had his teeth done he might be a bit more comfortable but I can't even afford that even. Thing is I feel so guilty because its like i'm having him put down because our other dog doesnt get on with him and when is the right time. He could go on like this for another year or so. I think it is the right decision to have him put down and he has no quality of life because of the blindness but when is the right time, I just can't seem to make that decision.

This is so hard for you I'm sure because it's obvious you're wanting to do the best for this little dog in difficult circumstances. Only you know what is the right thing to do here- but you could try contacting your local PDSA - just Goggle them- to see if they can help with some treatment. Maybe some practical help and advice from them would let you see things clearer. Good luck.

I'm quite sure if he had no life quality your vet would tell you. Dogs adapt to losing sight and if it is cataracts its unlikely he is totally blind anyway. I have an old boy who isn't in good health and is no longer insured because the payments tripled so I know what u mean about treatment being expensive ..ive just had to pull my belt in ..i actually heard a girl who was outside Starbucks having a coffee and a fag she was telling her friend she was giving her dog up cos she couldn't afford to look after it anymore..i was crying with temper ..sitting all dressed up with a fag and a Starbucks but give her away ..some people get their priorities wrong :( ..it makes me so cross she there are people like us who live on beans on toast so the dogs get treatment xx

Also ..has the vet diagnosed cataracts or are you just assuming that cos of how his eyes look? . My old boy has nuclear sclerosis, EVERYONE thinks he has cataracts..it isn't ..its just old man eye and actually he see quite well ..nut if you didn't know you would swear it was cataract and he was blind

. Id contact a charity like the blue cross or rspca to help getting his teeth done. If that's all the vet has recommend then its not time to have your elderly companion pts

Id maybe ask for help with your other dogs behaviour too ..maybe he is going for the pug because the pug is unwell but it wont be asserting him dominance ..a leader doesn't lead with aggression(old ceased Milan style thinking has been totally debunked) I doubt very much the pug is challenging the younger dog so the younger one has no need to assert something that isn't being challenged..my guess is there is something else going on that needs to be addressed before the younger dog starts to bully other small dogs when its out and about..can I ask how old you younger dog is please? It could just be their age and they may settle down

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs cope very well with blindness as they have such a fantastic sense of smell. I would not worry about that aspect of his health apart from giving him space from the other, boisterous, dog.

His teeth are another matter. If the PDSA or Blue Cross cannot help then you could ask your vet if they will take instalments. I do think you should heed your vet's advice if he thinks they are affecting the dog's quality of life. If you cannot resolve the finance issue then you may have to make a sad decision if you agree with your vet that his quality of life is so bad that you have no option.

Back