The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Naturediet

sophie

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone out there having trouble with NatureDiet? Not just getting hold of it, but the meat being rotten in the packets? I've had a case of Tripe and Chicken of which about 5% of the packets blew up like balloons (one exploded - disgusting!) , with rotten meat inside. The remaining 95% of the meat looked ok - but Freddie's had a bad tummy for quite a while so I wonder if all the meat was dodgy.

At the moment I'm buying frozen meat and making it up with rice, eggs and carrots. He woofs it all down- but it's time consuming.

A very basic question here but for a 10 month old dog who gets a fair bit of exercise, what does anyone recommend?

Has anyone else had NatureDiet problems?

sophie said:
Is anyone out there having trouble with NatureDiet? Not just getting hold of it, but the meat being rotten in the packets? I've had a case of Tripe and Chicken of which about 5% of the packets blew up like balloons (one exploded - disgusting!) , with rotten meat inside. The remaining 95% of the meat looked ok - but Freddie's had a bad tummy for quite a while so I wonder if all the meat was dodgy. At the moment I'm buying frozen meat and making it up with rice, eggs and carrots. He woofs it all down- but it's time consuming.

A very basic question here but for a 10 month old dog who gets a fair bit of exercise, what does anyone recommend?

Has anyone else had NatureDiet problems?

Someone I know had this problem... exactly as you describe.

She had three dogs VERY ill for quite a while, and one of those dogs (who was already in poor health) had to go to the vets to go on a drip.

She made a note of the batch number... you MUST report this to naturediet and complain - perhaps you cuold tell us what the batch numbers are on your packs?

Am not sure how naturediet replied to her AND her vet's report - but when I phoned them (naturediet) and asked about it a couple of weeks later, they denied all knowledge!!!

This is worrying and must not be left.

Do you have the meat delivered, or buy it from a pet supermarket?

I do hope you will not continue to feed from this particular stock of naturediet... send it back and demand a refund.

When I was in the midst of worrying about this, I transferred from naturediet to naturesmenu (comes in a pouch) - which is much more expensive..... all natural stuff just like naturediet.

However, it is sloppier and to be honest only one of my whippets actually liked it.

Hope your doggies bad tums get sorted out quickly.

Yep I have had 3 packs in a box that I purchased from Petsmart. Two I have already returned but I have the third at home still so will check the batch no. and advise Naturediet themselves. I have used the rest barring 2 packs but my dogs are all fine (touch wood!). Millie, who works at Petsmart, tells me that they have had a lot returned.

I normally get it from Berriewood and have never had a problem but since it has become difficult to get hold of I have not bothered ordering it and use the Forthglade Lifestage instead. Because of this last lot though I didn't even bother asking Berriewood if they had any in stock when I placed my order on Monday.

Yes, Naturediet are having serious problems - I would avoid for a while, I've heard a few rumours through the trade people and I would use something else!

~JO~ said:
Yes, Naturediet are having serious problems - I would avoid for a while, I've heard a few rumours through the trade people and I would use something else! -  use Forthglade when I am not feeding raw

dessie said:
Yep I have had 3 packs in a box that I purchased from Petsmart.  Two I have already returned but I have the third at home still so will check the batch no. and advise Naturediet themselves.  I have used the rest barring 2 packs but my dogs are all fine (touch wood!).  Millie, who works at Petsmart, tells me that they have had a lot returned.
I normally get it from Berriewood and have never had a problem but since it has become difficult to get hold of  I have not bothered ordering it and use the Forthglade Lifestage instead.  Because of this last lot though I didn't even bother asking Berriewood if they had any in stock when I placed my order on Monday.

i use ND and haven't had problems................yet! <G> Bet I do now. Dessie what is Lifestage? Have you got any info, I'd be interested in trying it. I haven't got masses of freezer space so need something I don't have to freeze.

Juley said:
dessie said:
Yep I have had 3 packs in a box that I purchased from Petsmart.  Two I have already returned but I have the third at home still so will check the batch no. and advise Naturediet themselves.   I have used the rest barring 2 packs but my dogs are all fine (touch wood!).  Millie, who works at Petsmart, tells me that they have had a lot returned.
I normally get it from Berriewood and have never had a problem but since it has become difficult to get hold of  I have not bothered ordering it and use the Forthglade Lifestage instead.  Because of this last lot though I didn't even bother asking Berriewood if they had any in stock when I placed my order on Monday.

i use ND and haven't had problems................yet! <G> Bet I do now. Dessie what is Lifestage? Have you got any info, I'd be interested in trying it. I haven't got masses of freezer space so need something I don't have to freeze.

It is part of the Forthglade Menu range which is cooked meat in what I can only describe as a blister pack. Not quite as firm in texture as ND but the dogs seem to like it as much, if not better. The Menu comes in quite a few 'flavours' but basically only meat. However, the Lifestage one comes in Junior, Adult & Senior in either chicken or lamb with added rice, vegetables & herbs/seaweed making it more of a 'complete' food. My dogs love it as an alternative to fresh meat and it is great in this hot weather. Here's a link to their webpage but I think you will find it fairly easy to get hold of.

Forthglade Lifestage

Oh heck....I feed my two on Nature Diet. I did spot some packets where the foil looked blown out a bit in our pet shop, so I avoided those.

Rumour has it there was an accident at the factory (better not say what it was...just in case .....but I did wonder what my two had really eaten at one stage :- " ).

They've moved premises as a result but can't seem to get back on their feet properly (supply not meeting demand). Stocks are always low.

My two have been fine up to now. You've got me worried now.

~JO~ said:
Yes, Naturediet are having serious problems - I would avoid for a while, I've heard a few rumours through the trade people and I would use something else!
Thats very good to know - Thanks Jo.

I buy the other brand from Pets at Home (cant think of it right now) but have bought the odd packet of natures menu too .... will avoid it after reading this. Thats terrible.

Hope the dogs in question are ok soon. :luck: :luck:

Nicola said:
Rumour has it there was an accident at the factory (better not say what it was...just in case .....but I did wonder what my two had really eaten at one stage :- " ).

Yes heard the same :( The production has moved and it doesn't seem quite the same anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the forthglade........

I have just phoned all the pet shops I can think of in my area and no one seems to stock it.

I know Berriewoods have it and will deliver, but they have a minimum amount you can order and I HAVE to try the forthglade before buying in bulk as one of my dogs suffers from IBD and it is too risky to order lots before I know how it will affect him.

Anyone any ideas where I could get it in the East Anglian region?

Cambs

Found it - the one I buy is Prize Choice from AMP. Ltd.

Kirawan said:
Re the forthglade........
I have just phoned all the pet shops I can think of in my area and no one seems to stock it.

I know Berriewoods have it and will deliver, but they have a minimum amount you can order and I HAVE to try the forthglade before buying in bulk as one of my dogs suffers from IBD and it is too risky to order lots before I know how it will affect him.

Anyone any ideas where I could get it in the East  Anglian region?

Cambs

Why do you not try Forthglade direct, they will probably know who sells their products in your area, try them on 01837 83322.

Healpl19 said:
Why do you not try Forthglade direct, they will probably know who sells their products in your area, try them on 01837 83322.
Thank you, yes, I just did that and the person was very helpful, but they do not supply the stuff and she did not have a list of local stockists.

Kirawan said:
Healpl19 said:
Thank you, yes, I just did that and the person was very helpful, but they do not supply the stuff and she did not have a list of local stockists.

Oh dear! That is a bit of a problem as I can understand you want to try before you buy loads!! I suppose Anglian Meats flood your area with their products so Forthglade don't bother too much. Are there any kennels with retail outlets in your area rather than pet shops? Or what about ringing Berriewood to ask if they supply any retailers in your area with it (don't know if they could give out info like this but may be worth a try)

dessie said:
Oh dear!  That is a bit of a problem as I can understand you want to try before you buy loads!!  I suppose Anglian Meats flood your area with their products so Forthglade don't bother too much.  Are there any kennels with retail outlets in your area rather than pet shops?  Or what about ringing Berriewood to ask if they supply any retailers in your area with it (don't know if they could give out info like this but may be worth a try)
Thank you for that suggestion... am on the case!!

Kirawan said:
Thank you for that suggestion... am on the case!!
Well...... full marks to Berriewood...... they do not deliver to stockists locally, but are prepared to help me out with a small supply as I am a good customer !!! -

I certainly don't order in large amounts, but I do remain loyal I guess.

Also, I have had to return the naturesmenu when that did not suit my IBD dog and I lose 10% each time I have to return stuff.

As someone on this thread already said... there is a problem with naturediet and supplies are not even getting through to Berriewoods - so I am keeping fingers crossed that the forthglade suits my boys tum.

Used to use it years and years ago with a very elderly whippet and it worked a treat..... so here's hoping.

Nicola said:
Oh heck....I feed my two on Nature Diet. I did spot some packets where the foil looked blown out a bit in our pet shop, so I avoided those.

Oh dear! Muffin has that as well - he loves it! :( He's been OK but now I'm worried too. I knew my pet shop was having trouble stocking it but didn't realise what the problem was. Might try the Prize Choice that Janis suggests. I think I've seen it - it's a frozen food isn't it? He likes NaturesMenu but it's really expensive. :blink:

Just spoken to Berriewood. 01787 238009. They deliver to my part of Norfolk and the price is reasonable. They also deliver other foods and have a sliding scale of prices, very helpful too. They were happy for me to put the info on here and I warned them they might get a few more calls.

Juley said:
Just spoken to Berriewood. 01787 238009.  They deliver to my part of Norfolk and the price is reasonable. They also deliver other foods and have a sliding scale of prices, very helpful too.  They were happy for me to put the info on here and I warned them they might get a few more calls.
I have a delivery from them every month and I think you will find they deliver to most parts of the country!! They are wholesalers for just about anything you want, complete, frozen, treats, bowls, beds etc.

Back