The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Microchip For U.s. And Uk?

K9art

Registered
Reaction score
I have microchipped my dogs before, in the U.S, but was wondering if they need separate chips for each country? And would having two interfere with each other? Just asking because eventually (2-3 years) we will move back to Florida, but would like to have Libby microchipped while we are here.

Can't say for sure but with this Pet Passport scheme and the fact that the USA is now included I would think that the chips are one and the same

I believe that there are several different brands of chips, some may not be able to be read on some scanners. When i inquired about importing a dog to Australia, I was told the 3 brands of chip compatible with the local scanners. If you are planning to move to another country start researching all the requirements now, and the type of chip suitable would be included in that info :luck: :luck: :luck:

dessie said:
Can't say for sure but with this Pet Passport scheme and the fact that the USA is now included I would think that the chips are one and the same
What is this "Pet Passport"? I know my horse has to have one, but didn't know anything about dogs requiring one :blink:

while people are talking about micro chipping i thought i should mention that you can get your dog chipped at your local dogs trust rehoming centre for just £10 a dog! a bloody good bargain i reckon. :cheers:

K9art said:
dessie said:
What is this "Pet Passport"? I know my horse has to have one, but didn't know anything about dogs requiring one :blink:

I take it you compete in some way with your horse for it to have to have a passport?

A real simplification of the system is that dogs/cats/ferrets can all obtain a passport via your Vet which then entitles the owner to take them abroad and return with them without the need for 6 months quarantine. It first started with Europe only but has now extended to the USA so we are getting dogs from all over the world competing at shows, especially Crufts. They have to have rabies innoculations and then blood tests before they can travel and once they have been passed they can go (takes about 8 months to complete). On each journey you have to have them wormed/flea & tick treated at a Vet's before they can come and go. They also have to be microchipped.

This is how we can import dogs now without them going through quarantine. I have bought two Whippets in from Europe.

dessie said:
I take it you compete in some way with your horse for it to have to have a passport?
Basically, all horses need passports.

The reason: "The legislation underpins a robust control system to ensure that horses, which have been treated with veterinary medicines not authorised for use in food-producing animals cannot be slaughtered for human consumption." (From www.defra.gov.uk)

I think the dog passports are a great idea... really hated that quaratine. I have too many friends whose dogs had bad experiences and worse while in quarantine. :(

Back