Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Message-in Question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Rixon

Registered
Reaction score
QUOTE(BeeJay @ Dec 11 2007, 11:58 AM)

I think that a question I had has now been answered. My question is.

Do the club sec's get a posted letter as well as an email? We all know that email's can get spam filtered out or lost so it's not that reliable a way to communicate.

I also do think that it is wrong that club sec's without internet access get their communications from the WCRA later than those with email. It must be a tad annoying when they get information via other club secs or through the grapevine before hearing it officially from the WCRA. I am a member of a club where the comment 'oh but it was on the internet, that's how we know about x happening', causes small explosions of annoyance amongst the non computer owning members. Oh course being me I don't manage to say at least 5 times per meeting 'On the internet it says this'. :))

Reply from Judy

No we don't get a letter as well as an email. Its not the WCRA's fault I didn't get mine though. As you said, with so much junk email being sent these days a lot of filtering goes on so unfortunately emails are not so reliable these days. I tend to ask people to just hit reply and let me know they've received it if its important.

I see the letter was dated 22nd of November (and emailed that day) and items for the agenda had to be in by 1st of December. So just 9 days later, if you were emailed. Only time for 1 race meeting on a Sunday. The email about the cancellation was sent on 6th December, just 5 days later. Personally, although a notice was put in the Champs programme, not everybody will have seen it and I think the clubs could have been given a bit more time. Obviously there were 2 items from East Anglia and there would have been at least one from June for Gloucester. :))

Hi All

I emailed a Question from EA - I'll start another Question (4) 8)

Rob Rixon said:
QUOTE(BeeJay @ Dec 11 2007, 11:58 AM)
I also do think that it is wrong that club sec's without internet access get their communications from the WCRA later than those with email.  It must be a tad annoying when they get information via other club secs or through the grapevine before hearing it officially from the WCRA.  I am a member of a club where the comment 'oh but it was on the internet, that's how we know about x happening', causes small explosions of annoyance amongst the non computer owning members.  Oh course being me I don't manage to say at least 5 times per meeting 'On the internet it says this'.      :))
Well it can't be helped that some people take advantage of new technology and others don't. I imagine that 100 years ago those same people would have been all annoyed that some people got to hear of things before they did because of the telephone :) Surely the important thing is that they do get informed. Does it really matter if its a few days later than someone else. And lets face it, if they weren't told by someone who had "seen it on the internet" then it would be even longer before they found out ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love e-mail, but have missed some important stuff through filtering etc. I think courtesy would dictate that e-mail is followed by post for those who don't choose to particpate in electronic mail!

I think the issue here may be timing. It would be beneficial to clubs to have a reasonable time scale to raise issues for discussion. August/September for initial club notification, End of Dec dead-line, meeting Jan.Sorted!

How about on-line discussion - we can't wait for those still using quil pens!

It it possible via K9 -all log on Saturday, 19th Jan - say noon.

Or would it be live messaging. What do you think. Save Petrol (or Diesal) (local price I've seen here in the East £1.13 per ltr - need to go to Ipswich Sainsburys £1.05) :(

If the issue is timing the last champs was when? October? Yet I was not told that the call had been put out for items for the agenda and I'm on the ethernet, snail mail, telephone etc. However, I did not know because I was not at the champs; and (both) of my club secs failed to pass on this information. So is it timing or lack of communication or a combination of both? Perhaps the WCRA could include in its racing timetable the final date for calls for items for the agenda as well as the booked date for the talk-in- everyone appears to have sight of this programme at some time, it is then up to each individual to note these dates in their diary and ensure that they get any items for inclusion to their club sec in good time. It goes without saying that the racing fraternity would have an expectation of the scheduled meeting actually happening irrespective of agenda items. I am already suffering withdrawal symptoms at the thought of beginning the new year without being told that 'anything said today does not have any credibility with the committee and we don't have to take any notice of anything you say' - I don't know how I'll get through '08 without that particular put down. :- "

It perhaps hasn't been made clear that the WCRA do send out stuff by post to those without email. Neither method is 100% reliable I guess but that's not their fault.

Come to think of it "The Grape Vine" is probably the best :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
:( The grape vine is so good that people like me didn't get to hear of it?

Why rely on the grapevine, or secretaries, when the WCRA could have this meeting and call for items for the agenda as part of the formal diary for the upcoming year? That way, if any individual misses it, that's their problem. This system would go some way towards eradicating the problem of information dissemination.

It would also mean that when the WCRA gives club secs 7 days (give or take a day or two), to ensure that items for the agenda are sent off to them, this is then more workable - we can't moan about deadlines as they were advertised at the beginning of the year. So the WCRA would be in a win-win situation for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back