The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Medication Phobia...

~elizabeth~

Registered
Reaction score
Since Christmas Gelert has had very slight irritation in one eye, nothing serious, just a bit weepy with the second eyelid showing a bit too much. After reading the post about conjunctivitis, I thought I'd give Golden Eye ointment a go. I'd like to tell you whether it's worked or not, but I'm having a job getting near the little soandso to put the drops in. After the first couple of attempts he got wise to it, and is now out of the room as soon as you pick up the bottle; if cornered he struggles so hard you just can't hold him.

He's never liked being 'fiddled with' since puppyhood (as soon as he realises you're going to try to look at his teeth, nails or pose him same problem, wriggle or flight), but since going to the vet to be stitched up a few weeks ago it's developed into a real problem.

Any tips on how to 'desensitise' him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im no expert, but i think i would go back to basics

Like cuddle him, i guess he lets you do that?

Then play with his toes, eyes, teeth etc without doing anything else....

Then let him sniff the stuff, ie nail clippers eye drops, but dont use them, keep playing with his eyes teeth toes etc.....

Until he will let you put the stuff close to him....lots of prase treats etc.....will probably take a while but it will be worth it...

You can read my advice in 'what a load of tosh' due out soon £5.99 (w00t)

Well, we've done most of that sort of thing. We had a fun session where we all had pretend eye-drops in, even the cat, to show him what fun he was missing.

The trouble is he's very bright, and clever at reading your behaviour, so he can tell the difference between play acting and when you really intend to use it (I'm damned if I know how he can tell). I just want to nip this in the bud, as the last couple of vet visits have been a real trial. :(

Tess hates and I really mean HATES having her toenails trimmed and the rate they grow at I have to do them once a week. However she LOVES parmesan cheese almost as much as she hates the clippers so we have a compromise. A tiny sliver of cheese for each nail and a chunk when they are all done. She shivers and shivers all the way through the process, and loves me a lot less for a while afterwards, but at least she hasn't given me a black eye since the compromise.

poor old Gelert :( - good luck :luck:

No, we've tried this too. You know it's serious when even the promise of food makes no difference. He wouldn't eat his dinner for a week after we naively ground up a worming tablet into it (though there was an easy solution to this, just embed them in chunks of raw meat which he's guaranteed to always swallow whole).

He has a will of iron when it comes to things he really doesn't like.

For eye drops what worked with my children (humans!) and cat

Was when they were asleep: put drops on cotton wool and wipe the eyelid as close as possible to the eyelashes. Probably used more drops than if directly in the eye and maybe took a bit longer to cure but definitely worked and no fuss!

I might just try that.

Last time at the vets, I stupidly turned up abou 40mins too early, but actually it was quite useful, as after the initial bout of anxiety and barking, he did calm down a bit and concentrated on ogling a little poodle bitch instead (although we still had a big struggle over getting the stitches out when we finally went in). I wonder they'd mind if I try this again next time, perhaps getting the vet to pat him when she comes in and out? It can get a bit unpleasant if there are too many barking anxious dogs in there (esp. for the poor cats who have to share the room).

We did discuss it with the vet while we were there, and she was sure it was just because he was still traumatised, and would go away fairly quickly as he's normally so good, but I'm not so sure.

The only way we have managed to get poor Nana to accept the vet after whatever traumatic experience in her past caused her phobia was to just go often and sit there and get treats. Its easier for me because Tess LOVES going to the vets and so she is a wonderfully calming influence. Would you like to borrow her next time you go?

moriarte said:
The trouble is he's very bright, and clever at reading your behaviour, so he can tell the difference between play acting and when you really intend to use it (I'm damned if I know how he can tell).
It is all part of the Whippie plan to take over world, they need to be able to read the signals right (w00t)

Hello,

Our dog seems to have an eye infection.

Have tried tea bags and saline solutions but it does not seem to work.

Did you have good result with Golden eye ointment?

Many thanks.

Back