The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Making dog collars

Raven oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
Well ive spent the afternoon making collars..i sew alot but these are my first attempts at collars and i have no idea why ive never tried before...the dangerous bit now is there are soooooo many lovely ribbons to choose from..Willow and Grommy will have a different one for each day ..im in danger of getting carried away hahahahaha WP_20150512_09_39_16_Pro.jpgWP_20150512_15_48_34_Pro.jpgWP_20150512_15_43_18_Pro.jpg

They look fantastic, you clever thing !

Will you be selling them ?

How much ?

What sizes ?

Small / puppy sizes ! ? ! ?

Thankyou :) . my hubby put pictures up on his FB (i dont do FB) and ive had loads of people ask me to make one for them so i guess thats a yes. :) . I ordered more clips last night, some tiny ones and cat quick release ones too, and went mad on fabric , ribbon and charms so when it all comes i can let you know what i have and if you want one i can make an adjustable small collar for around a fiver plus postage..how does that sound..is it too much?..the larger ones will be £6 and £7..and if someone wants something special they can contact me and we can work out a price..is all abit accidental to be honest ..i just wanted to have a go at making collars and suddenly i have 22 orders :) Once everything is here i will work out sizes of collars etc and be able to post if thats ok with the moderators?

Owww thankyou Sophie :D

i will pm you pictures of what ive got over the weekend when all my goodies arrive, or what one customer did was send me the link to the ribbon she wanted and i ordered it and will make her collar up when it arrives ..so if you wanted to do that its fine too. , Beth xx

Well ive ordered some lovely buckles in fantastic colours that have a 300lb breaking strain..but they are coming from flippin china so will take a few weeks :( ..i have loads of order , including 6 custom orders. Im very suprised by his and i hope my customers are going to be patient and wait for the lovely buckles. Someone cancelled saying i should be better organised but actually i wasnt intending to sell them...it kind of just happened :) ..once i get the buckles and check their quality i will order in a much bigger quanity then open a FB page with what ive got and what i can make ..oww exciting :)

When you're happy with all of your collar making skills can I suggest that you add leads and bandanas in to your range? One of my friends makes bespoke collars, leads, harnesses and the like and she's got a roaring business in matching training lead and harness sets and the like, but the bandanas seem to be particularly sought after. If you have access to an embroidery machine you can put messages on them and everything.

I look on enviously because I see all of these dogs in pretty colours to match the season and know that there is no point at all in buying anything like that for Molly. She's currently wearing a blue camo extra wide EzyDog neoprene collar, but I only know that because I bought it for her. Her coat is so deep that you can't even see it when it's on.

Hi eingana, thanks for the suggestions :) I have made a few matching bandanas and you are right, people love them ...i was slightly nervous about making leads because the buckles i bought for the collars gave the breaking strain info (300lbs) but i couldnt find the same info for he swivel clips that go on the end of leads so i have no idea how strong they are. I will try and find more info and speak to companies in person before i order from them. My lovely hubby has just bought me a new sewing machine, the first NEW one ive ever had in 24 years of marriage. We have never had alot of money so just about everything we own is second hand....but thats fine..stops landfill etc etc. ;) . Its a very good one that sews well and has embroidery stiches, but pre-set ones..not freehand or letters. Maybe if it takes off i can look for a second hand super duper fab one that does way more than my new one can do :) Mollys coat is much thicker and longer than Willows coat but already you hardly ever see her collar because of the ruff that is growing around her neck...maybe they both need bandanas ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend who makes the collars and leads has dalmatians, and this all started with her making a bandana to help people understand that the dog they were calling won't come to you because she's deaf, and the message ones kind of took off from there. The bandanas particularly bring in the best profit on an hourly rate and hardware cost of all of the range because they include the least hardware of everything and don't take an hour of tinkering around trying to catch the very edges of the ribbon in an even fashion either.

I hope that these are a great success for you and that they give you an extra income stream :)

Yea..the medium/large clips have come today..here are some ive run up this afternoon :) WP_20150522_14_46_55_Pro.jpgWP_20150522_14_47_17_Pro.jpgWP_20150522_14_52_32_Pro.jpgWP_20150522_14_52_43_Pro.jpg

Those are amazing you are really talented... Are you still making these and what's the smallest size you do, I'm having problems finding a collar small enough for my dog he has such a tiny neck

Back