The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Lurcher breeders

Christopher Thomas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for reputable lurcher breeders and am not coming up with much through simple google searches. Does anyone know of any good breeders, or upcoming litters? I am based in the North West but am happy to travel.
Ideally i'm after something like a saluki/whippet/deerhound X bitch, but am open to other mixes.

All help appreciated!

Have you tried Countryman magazine? They have (or used to, anyway) a lot of ads for lurchers, though of course you'd still have to check the breeder carefully.

I don't suppose you'd consider a rescue? Lurcher Link is up your way and often have cracking lurchers - though with puppies, there's a good chance that they won't know what breed the sire was, let alone the cross.

When you find your pup, please share some pics with us - there's several lurcher lovers here!

Have you looked on Pets4homes ....
I know someone but they aren't lurchers more longdog as parentage is sire pure deerhound...dam 3/4 deerhound 1/4 greyhound

I know someone but they aren't lurchers more longdog as parentage is sire pure deerhound...dam 3/4 deerhound 1/4 greyhound

Though saluki/whippet/deerhound would also be a longdog.

Have you tried Countryman magazine? They have (or used to, anyway) a lot of ads for lurchers, though of course you'd still have to check the breeder carefully.

I don't suppose you'd consider a rescue? Lurcher Link is up your way and often have cracking lurchers - though with puppies, there's a good chance that they won't know what breed the sire was, let alone the cross.

When you find your pup, please share some pics with us - there's several lurcher lovers here!

Hi Judy. Thanks so much for the reply - glad to find some lurcher lovers!
I haven't had a look at Countryman magazine but i will do now - thanks for the tip!
As for a rescue, whilst i have had terriers in the past, this will be my partner's first dog and i want to give her the full puppy experience! So i think we're set on a puppy at the moment.
I will of course post some pics when we have her!

Thanks for the reply! We have been keeping an eye on Pets4Homes, and will continue to monitor this site.
Thanks for the tip about your friend, but i think we'd want a bit of whippet in there to take away some of the size of the deerhound if that makes sense!

Have a look on Lurcher link on the other homeless hounds there are some lovely lurcher pups in Cardiff dogs home looking for homes ;)

There have been alot of lurchers on Gumtree this way ...there Is a lovely greyhound X saluki boy 8weeks old ...he is a bit lovely :)

Also consider putting an ad. in Horse & Hound. Horsey people often have lurchers, and there is a different clientele. I love Countrymans but sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Also consider putting an ad. in Horse & Hound. Horsey people often have lurchers, and there is a different clientele. I love Countrymans but sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Thanks Hemlock - Horse and Hound is a good shout!

Best of luck. As and when please let us have photos. I know it’s early days but there are lots of sighthound owners/lovers here.
IMG_1440.jpeg

You may be aware, but saluki x deerhound can be a rather 'challenging' mix, and very different to terriers. So the 'full on' puppy experience might be even more full on than you anticipate!

Our Tilly was a lurcher X longdog
Sire whippet X saluki
Dam Deerhound X bearded collie
Our 2 boys are mainly deerhound with 1/8 greyhound in the mix ...they are 15 months and 11 months now and are a total joy ...
I personally wouldn't have another dog with saluki in the mix I love the bull lurcher saying that I doubt we will ever have another lurcher after 40+ years of always having one as most have a high Prey Drive ...its so nice walking the boys sometimes within 10 feet of deer without them going berserk :p

Isn't it fun that we can all choose our preference? I don't gel with bull lurchers but I love saluki and deerhound blood. However, anyone used to terriers might prefer a Bedlington cross - mine was a dude, and I never regretted bringing Bedlington into the mix.

Totally agree @Hemlock ..
We are totally smitten with the boys and would love deerhounds in the future...we would have more if we could afford it :p

Back