The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Losing Her Hair

molly's mummy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Last on when Molly, my little whippet/collie x had just been speyed and was going through a phantom pregnancy - glad to say she's back to normal now, just a bit protective with her toys.. :thumbsup: hurrah!!

I was hoping someone might be able to advise me on something else - she is just about 14 months old and was speyed beginning of November. She is now really casting and losing alot of her fur - we're sweeping up 3 or 4 times a day. :sweating:

As she's whippet/collie x she has slightly thicker hair than a full breed whippet. I'm sure i read somewhere that after they have been speyed their coat can change and become coarser. Can anyone help?

I'd love to post some pics of her but i'm not very good on computers. :wacko:

Many thanks.

Some breeds can have a noticeable coat change after spaying, for instance spaniels coats can become more 'woolly', but that tends to be a gradual process after the spay.

I'd guess that if your dog's hair loss is just a heavier-than-normal moult, with no skin irritation or bald patches developing, it's just a reaction to hormonal changes and will settle down in time.

I'd love to see pictures - I'm sure someone will be able to direct you to some instructions for posting them :)

Just wondered do you have your heating up high I have a greyhound collie cross and shes molts liker buggery if we have the houes very warm

Just wondered do you have your heating up high I have a greyhound collie cross and shes molts liker buggery if we have the houes very warm

I have three neutered girl whippies.

One lost the hair down the back of her back legs and across her tummy but you don't really notice it.

One didn't change coat at all and has stayed lovely and soft.

and one has slightly coarse fur between her shoulderblades but nowhere else.

Neutering also made no difference to the labrador's coat which stayed as soft as ever.

I've heard that dogs stop shedding while they're pregnant and have a huge moult after the pups are weaned. I think I remember my whippie doing that when she had her litter.

I have found that the changes in coat texture can be something to do with where they are in their cycle when speyed.

My last whippet to be speyed was a few day after having pups due to a womb infection.......... she went practicly bald, its just fell out. Good news was that it did grow back as normal texture :thumbsup:

Others, including the rough collies, have been speyed mid way between seasons, none lost their coats but grew thicker slightly wavy coats.

:D Thanx to all who replied - as it's turned really cold, yes, we do have the heating up quite high. :sweating:

We'll just need to persevere with it and accept she's just a hairy wee monkey.

I really enjoy this website and its great to see all the pics of everyone's whippys - i'll get my OH to help me post some pics of molly dolly soon :unsure:

Thanx again

Back