The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Leg Protection For Whippets

Ann Glews

Registered
Reaction score
Can any one tell me if leg protectors for Whippets exist?? If so where can I find them. My 11 month old Izzy loves running when we meet other dogs on our walks, I am loathed to stop her, but need to protect her legs from nicks.

All suggestions greatly received.

what part of her leg do you want top protect. I know a lot of racers ues the vet rap (cohesev bandege) help protect there dogs stoper pads and wrist and fly ball dogs have leather wrist gards for the same reson

fallenangel said:
what part of her leg do you want top protect. I know a lot of racers ues the vet rap (cohesev bandege)  help protect there dogs stoper pads and wrist and fly ball dogs have leather wrist gards for the same reson
Thank you, I need to protect her front legs from joint upwards for a couple of inches.

You can get protectors. My son has some our whippet but she did not like wearing them, she tries to shake them off so he gave up.

Try putting dog leg protectors into Google. Agility dogs use protectors.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Wendy

Jesswhippet said:
You can get protectors. My son has some our whippet but she did not like wearing them, she tries to shake them off so he gave up.
Try putting dog leg protectors into Google. Agility dogs use protectors.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Wendy

Thank you Wendy, I will endeavor to find some and try them.

I've use vet wrap now and again when my two are in particularly clumsy moods! Good stuff :thumbsup: I got it off ebay, you can get in lots of nice colours, Lenny doesn't like the pink one though :p

Which parts of the front legs? I use vet wrap to protect the stoppper pads and dew claws whilst racing but if your dogs are getting nicks on the fronts of their rear legs (i.e. studding from the nails on the front feet catching onto the back legs) then you might find applying a blob of vaseline across the fronts of the back legs more convenient to use.

jezza said:
I've use vet wrap now and again when my two are in particularly clumsy moods! Good stuff  :thumbsup: I got it off ebay, you can get in lots of nice colours, Lenny doesn't like the pink one though  :p
Thank you I will have a look on ebay.

jezza said:
I've use vet wrap now and again when my two are in particularly clumsy moods! Good stuff  :thumbsup: I got it off ebay, you can get in lots of nice colours, Lenny doesn't like the pink one though  :p
Thank you I will check out ebay, I have also found some agility leg protectors on the internet which velcro on and are of a neoprene type material.

wild whippies said:
Which parts of the front legs? I use vet wrap to protect the stoppper pads and dew claws whilst racing but if your dogs are getting nicks on the fronts of their rear legs (i.e. studding from the nails on the front feet catching onto the back legs) then you might find applying a blob of vaseline across the fronts of the back legs more convenient to use.
Its the top part of her front legs, I think it is done on perhaps bramble or heather type brush where she catches herself. When she runs she is very clumsy and sees only what she chases!

Ann Glews said:
wild whippies said:
Its the top part of her front legs, I think it is done on perhaps bramble or heather type brush where she catches herself. When she runs she is very clumsy and sees only what she chases!

I would just like to thank you all, the agility leg protectors I bought are just the trick. Izzy can now run free without the danger of nicks on her front legs. I just wish I could work out how to post pictures!!

I would just like to thank you all, the agility leg protectors I bought are just the trick. Izzy can now run free without the danger of nicks on her front legs. I just wish I could work out how to post pictures!!

Check out the thread on photobucket.. It helped me with mine...

Look forward to seeing pics of Izzy soon

Back