The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Keratitis

wellybob

Registered
Reaction score
Hello every one, Jovi has developed an eye condition keratitis, it's immune related and caused by ultra-violet light treatable but not curable

has anyone heard of this condition in whippets? it 's breed related to greyhounds, lurchers and german shepherds

it requires eye drops ( not easy to put in I can tell you !!) at the moment we have it under control and he is fine

without treatment he could go blind, we thought at first it was pollen causing the redness but he had no

irritation I am glad we went to the vet, on a lighter note he seems obliveus to all the fuss and with regular

check-ups and eye drops in hand for flare ups he should be fine, Bye for now wellibob

I am sorry to hear that your boy is unwell and hope he's on the mend soon. I have never heard of this condition in dogs but I've had it! Some years ago someone asked me if I'd had a good night as my eyes were so bloodshot - not guilty and I thought no more about it. However, in the early hours of the following morning, I woke up and the pain in my eyes was indescribable. I walked the floor for hours until my husband phoned the GP and he came out to see me (those were the days) and gave me Chlorophenical (sp ?)drops. They did no good whatsoever and I was admitted to hospital. I was 'blind' for a week and was told that I had Viral Kerititus. I was also told that I was allergic to the drops so I don't know whether that was the cause of the intense pain or the infection itself. Apparently, it is very rare but I contracted it a further two times in the space of three months although because the hospital knew what it was, it was treated immediately and was never as chronic as the first bout. However, it has affected my eyesight and the hospital were right when they said I would need glasses within two years. I have a very weak left eye and scarring to both corneas, causing 'ghosting' to my vision.

This is all probably a red herring but it may be of some help and I do hope Jovi's not in any pain.

I am sorry to hear that your boy is unwell and hope he's on the mend soon. I have never heard of this condition in dogs but I've had it! Some years ago someone asked me if I'd had a good night as my eyes were so bloodshot - not guilty and I thought no more about it. However, in the early hours of the following morning, I woke up and the pain in my eyes was indescribable. I walked the floor for hours until my husband phoned the GP and he came out to see me (those were the days) and gave me Chlorophenical (sp ?)drops. They did no good whatsoever and I was admitted to hospital. I was 'blind' for a week and was told that I had Viral Kerititus. I was also told that I was allergic to the drops so I don't know whether that was the cause of the intense pain or the infection itself. Apparently, it is very rare but I contracted it a further two times in the space of three months although because the hospital knew what it was, it was treated immediately and was never as chronic as the first bout. However, it has affected my eyesight and the hospital were right when they said I would need glasses within two years. I have a very weak left eye and scarring to both corneas, causing 'ghosting' to my vision.
This is all probably a red herring but it may be of some help and I do hope Jovi's not in any pain.
Thank's for your reply, Jovi.s condition is'nt painfull his keratitis is brought on through a reaction from his

immune system, it was like a red spiders web growing up from the corner of his eyes and left untreated it would eventualy

cover all his eye,( not very nice )but we have it under control now thank goodness, his drops are prednisolone acetate

actualy for humans it's a pity I cant get them on my perscription as a pensioner I would get them free!!

Thank's for your reply, Jovi.s condition is'nt painfull his keratitis is brought on through a reaction from his

immune system, it was like a red spiders web growing up from the corner of his eyes and left untreated it would eventualy

cover all his eye,( not very nice )but we have it under control now thank goodness, his drops are prednisolone acetate

actualy for humans it's a pity I cant get them on my perscription as a pensioner I would get them free!!

Back