The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Irish Game And Country Fair

AlbertJ

Registered
Reaction score
Further to our re-organisation of the Terrier & Lurcher events at Birr Castle - partially due to feedback on this forum - I thought I should give an update :

1. The Show will take place on Sunday 28th August starting at 1.00PM be run by the Glenbank Working Dog Club - contact Matt Lee

Classifications

ROI TERRIER & LURCHER CHAMPIONSHIPS

SHOW SCHEDULE

Terrier Championship Show

1. Terrier Pups under 1 year……………………………………………………….

2. Working Terrier Class………………………………………………………….

3. Terrier under 12”………………………………………………………………..

4. Best Pair of Terriers…………………………………………………………….

5. Jack Russell Type Dog or Bitch over 1 year old………………………………….

6. Lakeland Type Dog or Bitch over 1 year old……………………………………..

7. Fell or Patterdale Dog or Bitch over 1 year old…………………………………

8. Border Dog or Bitch over 1 year old

9 Cross Bred Dog or Bitch over 1 year old…………………………….

Championship 1st placed terriers in classes 2,3,5,6,7,8,9

Family Dog Show

Any Variety shown by a child under 12 years of age……………………………..

Any Variety shown by a Lady…………………………………………………….

Any Variety shown by a Gent…………………………………………………….

Champion Handling Class from the above classes

Lurcher Championships

1.Whippet/Lurcher Dog or Bitch over 1 year old ………………………………..

( NO PURE BRED WHIPPETS)

2.Any Variety Lurcher Pup under 1 year old…………………………………….

3.Best Pair of Lurchers……………………………………………………………

4.Any Variety Lamping Lurcher………………………………………………..

5.Smooth Lurcher over 23” over 1 year old…………………………………….

6.Rough Lurcher over 23” over 1 year old…………………………………….

7.Rough or Smooth Lurcher under 23” over 1 year old…………………………….

8.AV Hare Lurcher ………………………………………………………………..

9.Collie Lurcher over 1 year old

10.Terrier Bred Lurcher over 1 year old…………………………………..

11. Any Fox Lurcher…………………………………………………………………

12. Veteran Lurcher – Any Lurcher over 8 years of age ………………………….

Championship 1st placed Lurchers in classes 1,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, 12

Whippet Championship

1.Whippet Puppy Dog under 1 year old

2. Whippet Puppy Bitch under 1 year old

3. Whippet Dog over 1year old

4.Whippet Bitch over 1 year old

5.Working Whippet Dog

6.Working Whippet Bitch

Championship 1st from classes 3,4,5,6

Entry per class €3 please have correct change. Similar Trophies to Shanes Castle & Ballywalter Fairs for each class.

The Lurcher Champion will qualify for the FINAL of the FIVE NATIONS LURCHER CHAMPIONSHIP to be staged in the main arena.

PLEASE NOTE THERE WILL BE NO DOGS FOR SALE AT THIS SHOW.

2. Racing will be run on Saturday 27th August starting 1.00pm. This will be organised by the Rosscrea Club Contact : Shane Lee

We are still in discussions over classification of whippets - this and full details of prizes etc will be posted on the www.irishgameandcountryfair.com website next week.

The lurcher racing will be the first qualifying race for the 2nd MASTER MC GRATH CHALLENGE - Final at Shanes Castle 2012.

As you are aware we consider the GREAT GAME FAIRS OF IRELAND to be not only be Ireland's premier game or country Fairs in terms of content, competitions and prize fuds but starting last year we tried to give extra value by offering everyone who attended Ballywalter a FREE ticket for Shanes Castle. Thus giving two fairs for the price of one.

For BIRR because the terriers and lurchers are running over two days we are making the following big value offers available to terrier & lurcher owners for advanced payment.

1.For €30 a family ticket and a years subscription to Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine.

2. A two day family ticket for €35.

3. Adult two day ticket for €15.

Full details are available by mailing me at irishgamefair@btinternet.com

Albertj

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they racing the lurchers out of boxes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Daz,

I am meeting the Rosscrea guys next week to discuss the racing and other aspects of the lurchers. Full update on 2011 and 2012 Fairs then.

Albert

Darren why would you ask if lurchers are running from boxes greyhounds and racing whippets run from boxes on tracks not Working lurchers at a country sports event in a field

Darren why would you ask if lurchers are running from boxes greyhounds and racing whippets run from boxes on tracks not Working lurchers at a country sports event in a field
do u race dogs doc
Shane i have raced dogs from i was knee high first greyhounds at dunmore ballyskeagh dundalk and dunganon then i raced lurchers and whippets at working dog shows until a lot off years back when things started getting too serious and took the fun out of it at the end of the day these shows are intended for working dogs over the summer months to keep them fit and to give the owners an intrest in there dogs until the start of the hunting season.When i slip a dog on a rabbit on a winters nite i dont do it from a box!!!

Glen Doherty

do u race dogs doc
Shane i have raced dogs from i was knee high first greyhounds at dunmore ballyskeagh dundalk and dunganon then i raced lurchers and whippets at working dog shows until a lot off years back when things started getting too serious and took the fun out of it at the end of the day these shows are intended for working dogs over the summer months to keep them fit and to give the owners an intrest in there dogs until the start of the hunting season.When i slip a dog on a rabbit on a winters nite i dont do it from a box!!!

Glen Doherty

Back