The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Introducing myself and my pack

Michdwyandpack

Registered
Reaction score
I call myself "michdwyandpack". I am an ancient dog guardian(I prefer this term to owner, as how can one own a dog? They are free spirits although our greatest friends). I got my first gundog trained lab. in 1946, just after the war ended. Over the years I have had and worked with many dogs. At present I have three, Millie aged 14 an ex coursing lurcher (whose passion is of course hunting hares). I do not allow her to do this now, as I don't approve of killing for pleasure. She looks like a greyhound, but with a slightly longer coat, possibly from Bedlington Terrier ancestry. Bedlingtons used always to be crossed into the whippet or greyhound amateur racing stock, to stiffen up their competitiveness. My second one, Boo is a 5 year old "designer dog", a Pug/Tzu cross with a pedigree Pug father and a pedigree Shih Tzu mother. My third is a 3 year old English Springer spaniel. The reason I have such different dogs is basically because I love them all and have at times worked with many dogs, including military dogs. I help out with a dog rescue in Yorkshire, by doing house checks etc and I have tended to offer them a home rather than search for a particular dog I wanted.

I am interested in all breeds of dogs and in their behaviour. People often comment when they see me with two obviously highly active, hunting strain dogs and an apparently mismatched "pet" dog. However, the little one, with short legs enjoys her long walks on the moors as much as the other two, and in some ways is a much more interesting dog. The lurcher and springer are of course quite different in character. The lurcher is of course a sight hound and about as quick s the average greyhound, but is happy to sleep at home. The springer is of course one of the most active dogs, never happy except when exercised. The Pug/Tzu is certainly the most entertaining when at home, as like mainly flat nosed dogs she has totally different eyesight, not long sighted like the hunting fraternity, but she watches TV or my computer screen very enthusiastically, especially when other dogs, or animals are to be seen. And rather surprisingly perhaps to people who assume she must just be a pet, lap dog, like all the Chinese and Tibetan dogs, originating from probably the first ever actual breed, the Pekinese, she has retained the watch dog ability.

Back