The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

I'm new here, hello!

rubysmum

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I'm finding it very interesting. There are lots of very useful tips. I am about to get a pup yorkie x jack Russell, it's eight years or more since I had a dog and much longer since I had a puppy. I would be interested to know what people feed their puppies and in particular small breed puppies. I collect my pup on 14th April and she is having pedigree puppy food but I would like to change that after a week or so.

IMG_20150408_190714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooooooooo cute!!!!! Oh I do love puppies they just melt your heart don't they!

My personal opinion (not scientific just personal) I wouldn't feed your puppy pedigree puppy food, especially with you having such a tiny pup as they sometimes find that it is too rich for them and end up with a poorly belly. However, if that is what the pup is on at the minute then of course keep it that way and then incorporate the new food you want to feed it gradually (10% of the new food per day).

There are lots of excellent premium brands you can buy these days and people will give you all sorts of suggestions as to what to have.

The best thing for you to so you don't get overly confused is when you take your puppy to the vets for his check up when you get him is to ask them about what to feed your puppy. With the breeds that your pup is crossed with they should be able to advise as to what brand is best.

Be prepared to pay a lot for them, unfortunately the good stuff doesn't come cheap!

Good luck with your little bundle of joy! :)

Sophie x

Thanks for replying Sophie. I agree with you about the pedigree puppy food and want to get her off it once she is settled in. She is from an "accident" litter so not a breeder hence the pedigree food. I was a bit aprehensive about asking the vet because I know they get a premium for selling the foods they stock. I am finding lots of useful information on here so will be taking note on other peoples opinions. She is having a final vet check today and is coming to me next week, I can't wait!

That's fair enough if you're not a fan of asking the vet.

I use FourFriends for my dog and he is in excellent health on it!

Puppies are tricky as some food suits their bellies and other don't.

Just whatever you do DO NOT buy Bakers!!! It's awful!

Sophie x

Aww how adorable! Whatever you feed little and often is best until settled. My dog is 15 now, she is fed on dry kibble from Natural Dog Food Company.

Best thing is do your research and everyone has their own opinion on these things so find something that is right for you, best of luck with your puppy!

Hi Rubysmum, and welcome to DogForum :)

I'm not sure that Molly was ever that small! She's beautiful :)

As far as food goes, I'm a believer in raw, which would start with raw mince for puppies, but I'm aware that a raw diet can take a lot more storage/freezer space and organisation than other foods and isn't suitable for some because of it.

Whatever you choose, I hope that she's happy and healthy and you have a long and happy life together.

Hello and welcome, what a beautiful little pup sooo tiny

I have had over 20years experience with dogs and took on lots of hard to place rescues but id never had a pup before willow and I was terrified!..its so daunting trying to get everything right, especially nutrition..i found forums and places like dog food review sites useful. Some sites u put in the dogs breed and weight and its shows u 5 star foods. Obviously you have to do ur own research too but I went with orijen large breed puppy for mine and she is thriving. I'm just in the process of swapping her to millies wolfgeart because she got bored with orijen..but both are fab dry foods. Good luck and don't forget the updates and picture..i think pictures are THE LAW here

Thanks everyone, she is cute isn't she. I have been studying the raw diet and have decided it's not for me for many different reasons. I think I will be going dry. I am going to see what I can get locally and choose the best one.

Bear in mind that most of the decent quality companies will deliver from their website to your home for the same price for which you could pick their products up in a shop, so please remember to check out the feed makers' websites and the whole selection of animal care websites too :)

Definately change the food Pedigree Chum is full of grain which is not good for a carnivore. Grain should only feature around 20 -30% at most

Try Wainwrites grain free its a good brand you don't have to feed dry food you can just feed the trays and provide dental toys instead to replace chews.

Its a good price for a grain free product you could this along with Millies Wolfheart but contact them and ask them which formula would best suit your little one.

Congrats on getting a new pup the right food will get him off to a good start I personally found pedigree chum made my dog hyper, avoid Bakers at all costs.

I'm new to this forum and I'm finding it very interesting. There are lots of very useful tips. I am about to get a pup yorkie x jack Russell, it's eight years or more since I had a dog and much longer since I had a puppy. I would be interested to know what people feed their puppies and in particular small breed puppies. I collect my pup on 14th April and she is having pedigree puppy food but I would like to change that after a week or so.

attachicon.gif
20150327_143317-3.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20150408_190714.jpg
Ooou, it's so small, but so cute! ♥ :)

Just to update. I have posted on the puppy forum as well. She is with me now. I named her Millie as it seemed to suit her. She is so small, weighed one kilo on the vets scales. She came a little earlier than expected so I have had her a week today. I have bought Autarky puppy food for her which she seems to struggle to chew so I am going to get the Wainwright's wet food as well. I did try soaking the kibble but she wouldnt eat it then. She's still getting the pedigree puppy until I use what the breeder gave me but I'm definitely swapping from that. She makes a lot of noise for a little one, boy can she howl at night. she is improving slowly though and the house training is going well as long as I keep getting her out. post-88144-0-50655800-1428864436_thumb.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back