The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How To Train The Dogs Around Livestock

Max&Smokey

Registered
Reaction score
Had a problem this morning one of my whippets has decided the cows in the field are like other dogs and ran up to them like she wanted to play with another puppy. Ran round it and nearly got kicked. To cap it all didnt come back when whistled (The shame!).

In the interim obviously now on lead when in with cows and back to coming when called training.

Unfortunately not sure how to train them not chase/play with farm animals. Anybody got any tips.

Thank

Chris

Sorry, I've never dared let them off lead near farm animals, so I cannot really give you advice.

I have a friend, however, whose whippets and other dogs would never chase neither sheep nor cattle. She explained how she trained them not to like this: "Well, I just expect them not to." Not sure whether that constitutes a method or not :huh:

I expect them not to !! I was not best pleased. So in a way Ive tried that method ;)

This is the only thing mine have ever had a physical reprimand about. Where we walk is common land filled with cows and calves and horses ponies and foals and my parents have sheep. If mine weren't 100% with livestock they'd simply never get let off their leads.

The ones I have had from puppies have never had a problem as they've grown up with them being around so they've never been interested in them.

In fact when Tess was little my horse baby sat her while I was riding other horses, I trusted my mare completely to look after her, Tess was tied up just out of hoof range and if she cried or got upset about being alone my wonderful Gemini used to blow on her or lick her to comfort her, and if she lost her temper about being tied up Gem used to snake her teeth at her like she would with a foal. The result of this was that Tess completely trusted all horses and would rush up to kiss them on the nose so I had to teach her not to, but she's always been very obedient so I only had to say no firmly a few times when she went up to strange horses and she quite quickly stopped.

The problem I have had has been with my two rescues. Nana used to run past the horses as fast and as close as possible, and no amount of calling or saying no could ever stop her. I suddenly realised that what she was doing was testing her own nerve with them as she was scared of them, so every time she did it I put her on the lead and lead her under one of the ponies I completely trusted (a hunter that knew that kicking dogs was a definite no no, she hated this so much that after 2 such treatments she didn't try again for ages, she did it once more about 1 month later and got the same treatment, she now gives the horses a wide berth.

Josephine was even more difficult as when I got her the only thing she responded to was physical contact (ie I had to touch her back legs to get her to sit, and her front to get her to lie down, treats, games verbal commands had absolutely no effect on her what so ever because she had had hardly any human contact). She also had an absolute fascination with cows' and horses' tails and would try to chew them and the only way I could comunicate with her that this was the worst thing she could possibly do beyond biting other dogs or people was to give her the worst telling off she has ever had and will ever have. I tried to do what her mother or a dominant bitch would have done and grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and pushed her to the floor growling at her. I only had to do this once and while she looks longingly at them from a distance all I have to do now is say her name if she looks like she's too tempted and she comes back to me. This may seem harsh, but better one good telling off then a good game than a potentially fatal kick. As I said this is the only time I have ever done this to her and it really got the message through.

Sorry my reply is so long, if you're not asleep with boredom I hope it has helped a bit.

Chloe use to think that all animals were just varying sizes of dog. She would try to play with cats and rabbits.....but unfortunately also use to try to get cows and horses to play too. This was obviously frightening for the animals and dangerous for Chloe.

Her recall improved dramatically with training, so i can now shout her back before she takes off into a field. She has also now realised that rabbits and cats don't like playing with Dobes! :lol:

Hi Chris the best way to break the pups to livestock is one pup at a time as two together will make each other brave. Take one pup on a lead walk it through cattle if he shows any intrest in the cows discourage it straight away keep repeating this untill he shows no intrest then do the same with sheep a good place to start is at livestock market where all stock is penned just walk round & let him see the animals & discourage any intrest

Allways on a lead so you have control of your pup :thumbsup:

Ironically, my 7 year old bitch met a horse for the first time on the beach today. TBH I thought she wouldn't bother with it as it was such a large animal and a reasonable distance away, anyhow I was wrong, she ran straight towards it and went for the tail. I was screaming at her to come back and prayed she wouldn't get kicked, thankfully she didn't and she came back. Gave her a rollocking and put her on the lead but I don't fancy chancing to see if she's learned her lesson, think she'll have to stay on her lead in the future.

I think the other thing is the risk of spooking the horse too which could be very dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be dubious to take mine on to farm land with livestock because although I haven't tested them I'm sure they would try to chase, Sienna has chased a deer :sweating: she didn't catch it though, but cows arent as nimble and fast as a deer so I wouldn't risk it :eek:

I live in a very rural area and their are usually sheep on our walk every day at some point. The cattle were all out a month ago, but have gone now - but am very wary - One kick from a Cow could kill a dog - especially a whippet with the ribcage they have. :(

Kobi would always chase - usually in a playful way - so I used to keep him on the lead after that and I usually let him smell the cows really close and keep on saying Leave.

The cattle are usually very docile but Beware a cow in calf - or cow with calf can be a totally different sinario. Extremely protective :angry:

I think your dogs would be better on the lead - just in case in my opinion.

I praise my dogs also when a horse and rider passes on the roadside, Oscar used to bark but is very good now I must say. :))

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to try the techniques listed. I will let you know how it works.

Regards

Chris

just walk the feilds with your pup on the lead and every time it looks in the direstion of the cow,sheep ect... just clip it round the ear with the end of your leash,but that means every time it looks at them

Not training your dogs to be stock broken is a liability that could result in the loss of your dog to the farmers gun or land you in court.

It really is very easily done and if you work your dogs at all then it should be done before you venture near a field with the intention of catching anything.

Take dog into field with stock and keep it on a lead, walk towards the sheep/stock and they will usually start to run away, this is the point that the dog will want to chase! as the dog pulls on the lead pull back hard and shout NO! a hard tap to the nose followed by a further NO should reinforce this.

Continue to do this regurlarly and your dog will very quickly understand.

Secondly if your dog is going to be let off the lead it should be trained to recall! I really don't understand how people can own dogs that they can't get back when out for a walk!

Dog owners have responsibilities to others, themselves and their dogs to train their dogs to a reasonable standard, recall and stock breaking are two of the fundamentals, especially with a dog that has such a strong prey drive.

Murphy,

Thanks for the advice

Back