The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How To Tell If Dog Is Going Into Labour?

lukkylady

Registered
Reaction score
the pregnant dog i took off a free ads site a fortnight ago still hasnt had her pups

her due date was 30th July, or so I was told

Shes very large, and looks like some milk from her teats.

She shows some signs: a discharge last few days, panting, listlessness

but then it stops, she just mostly lies about looking uncomfortable.

shes still eating, tho her appetite is reduced.

we got her a whelping box, she uses it at night

sleeps on floor or in garden during day

any sure signs i should be looking for?

my yorkie had pups about 3 yrs ago,but i've no experience of larger dogs :sweating:

would love some advice/info :thumbsup:

It would be worth having her checked by your vet.

At least you could then establish that the pups' hearts are beating and all is well :thumbsup:

The best way for you to tell is by taking her temperature regularly - this will drop when she is about to whelp.

She is already exhibiting symptoms of imminent whelping and I would be concerned that there is a discharge and no signs of real labour yet. Best to get the vet to check asap.

Good luck :luck: x

Last edited by a moderator:
the pups are alive & kicking

you can see and feel them in her tummy

the discharge was there for a few days

looked like a snotty shoestring :wacko:

but theres nothing now.

shes not showing any signs of distress or straining

or anything like that

she just looks like a heavily pregnant dog whos fed up!

like most women are,when they are near their time :teehee:

Our whippet bitch had the discharge a couple of weeks before she went into labour just keep an eye on her it is no different in a big dog to a small one .

you will know when she starts she will pace about and cry if in doubt do get her checked out :))

hope all goes well for her :luck:

Take her temp night and morning, when it drops and stays down, she should whelp within 24 hours. Good luck with her and well done for taking her on. I hope all goes well for you both.

hi and thanks for the advice

ive been looking up loads on the net ;)

i think shes in the last week of pregnancy and slowly going thru the stages b4 final whelping

and pups being born.

i will take her to vets if in any doubt.

Take her temp night and morning, when it drops and stays down, she should whelp within 24 hours. Good luck with her and well done for taking her on. I hope all goes well for you both.
Good advice; I use that as a guide too.

Good luck with her and the new litter. I hope everything goes well but there are lots of people on here who will help with advice and of course your vet is at the end of a phone if you have worries.

:luck: :luck:

as with humans,they can come earlier or later than 9wks.. the bitch will look unsettled,walking around,constantly looking at and cleaning her rear..

she may be one that would like you to just sit with her but do not interfere by pulling at the pups when she starts,also,leave the bitch to clean them.at times its looks as if they are being rough but in nature,they are not..

i never do the temperature thing however,at 65 days,id seek veterinary advise just for the welfare of the bitch as there may be a dead or big pup.

worth getting her checked by the vet as my maiden bitch did similar and i sat up all night with her thinking she would produce and nothing, took her to the vet and he gave her oxytocin because she hadnt got the urge to push, once she understood what she was doing all was well. Good luck.

hi and thanks for all the advice

she had her pups today

and all are doing well :thumbsup:

Congratulations and glad all is well without a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back