The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How to teach a dog to relax at night

mdkel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Need advice/tips/tricks etc .... As the title says I need help to relax zappa at night time...
He goes for a good walk at night and when he gets home he turns in to the devil himself :p I dont mind (and I actually like) the playing and running around etc, but zappa doesn't seem to have an off switch, he was neuttered 3 weeks ago and he is starting to hump everyone now :D

We are all calm people, so no stress is on the dog, no one beats him or hurts him, always positive reinformecent (or we try to :) )

We've tryed to say NO firmly, ignore, put him on time out (he understands now what a time out is, and runs from me).

Will this behaviour (excess play and humping) "disappear" in time? or will it escalate? Since he was neuttered it's getting "worse"..

He gets to play alone, gets to play with us, gets walks, mental stimulation, exercise, etc... But it's getting to be annoying, he simply won't relax, always running , jumping, humping, playing, etc...

Note: he does not jump on us, no biting problem, no aggresion, no barking, just the "too much humping/playing" thing....he gets too excited, and also starts do dig the couches ...

Oh, and, sometimes, he get's what we call the last zoomie, runs like hell for 2 minutes and suddenly just slams on his bed and sleeps...

Any ideas??

Hey everyone,

Need advice/tips/tricks etc .... As the title says I need help to relax zappa at night time...
He goes for a good walk at night and when he gets home he turns in to the devil himself :p I dont mind (and I actually like) the playing and running around etc, but zappa doesn't seem to have an off switch, he was neuttered 3 weeks ago and he is starting to hump everyone now :D

We are all calm people, so no stress is on the dog, no one beats him or hurts him, always positive reinformecent (or we try to :) )

We've tryed to say NO firmly, ignore, put him on time out (he understands now what a time out is, and runs from me).

Will this behaviour (excess play and humping) "disappear" in time? or will it escalate? Since he was neuttered it's getting "worse"..

He gets to play alone, gets to play with us, gets walks, mental stimulation, exercise, etc... But it's getting to be annoying, he simply won't relax, always running , jumping, humping, playing, etc...

Note: he does not jump on us, no biting problem, no aggresion, no barking, just the "too much humping/playing" thing....he gets too excited, and also starts do dig the couches ...

Oh, and, sometimes, he get's what we call the last zoomie, runs like hell for 2 minutes and suddenly just slams on his bed and sleeps...

Any ideas??
You could get into a routine and stick to it so he knows when to calm down, you can rub his ears, tummy and temple. :)

You could get into a routine and stick to it so he knows when to calm down, you can rub his ears, tummy and temple. :)

He has a good routine (with just a few adjustments)... it's always the same, but unless I overxercise him (like 3 or 4 hours ov vigurous play eith his buds), he always gets like this, somedays more chilled, somedays super speedy/active/hyper/my pants are on fire kind of state...

Last edited:
I think you just have a teenager on your hands @mdkel :D:D

My boys 10 so I don’t have this issue (only the occasional humping!!) so I’m afraid I don’t have much to suggest.

Is there an area in your house that he relaxes in more than others? Maybe he can go there when he won’t relax with you and then come back in with you once he’s calmed down?

Yes, it's normal and it gets better in time. Try to teach a good 'settle' or 'on your bed' and eventually that should work when he's still hyper but ready to crash (like an overtired child after an exciting party). But obviously it's too much to expect him to settle down too easily when he's still buzzing.

In the meantime try to enjoy the fun and games!

Back