The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

HOW NEAR HOW FAR?

sherry

Registered
Reaction score
;)Keeping along the lines of central tracks I was just wondering what is the furthest South or North you would travel for a race? Also how near is your nearest track?

The furthest we have been South is Worcester from Wallsend approx 4 hours or 5 towing a trailer tent. (unsure of mileage)

The furthest North is Dingwall in the highlands of Scotland from Wallsend approx 6 hours but took us 7 hours as we got lost add on approx 1 hour for towing.

Both of the above beautiful places. :cheers:

Nearest track Rising Sun approx 1 mile yes we are very very lucky we also have Bigges Maine at Wallsend sports centre approx 2 miles. :cheers:

TBH if it's a good race format & my dog's fit i'd go just about anywhere, i'll definitely have an outing to fordingbridge this year & possibly scottish derby.

My nearest track is a & t miners - 2 minutes up the road.

We travel anywhere if we think the track, and event is ok, this will be the third year in a row that we have traveled to the english and scottish derbys, from andover to kirkcaldy is about 450 miles, it is more than just racing the weekend events are great fun. :) :D :cheers: lots of it .

Last edited by a moderator:
:) THE FURTHEST SOUTH WE HAVE GONE IS SANDWELL BACK IN [1989]

HOPE TO GO TO DEVON THIS YEAR ,FURTHEST NORTH DINGWALL 310 MILES ,

NEAREST TRACK NEWTON AYCLIFFE 6 MILE :cheers: :thumbsup:

Harry and i did over eight-hundred miles in one weekend last year down to Devon Friday afternoon raced on Saturday then drove to Blidworth to race on Sunday then home Sunday afternoon,We also have driven up to Kirkaldy and back in the day for there bend meeting where ever we go at weekends is a two hour drive at the very least but who cares if you have a good day out we always do as a family! You got to be in it to win it! steve

Due to working nights Mum is reluctant to drive more than an hour to an hour and a half from home just in case we don't make it back in time ... that would get us to Maltby, Manton, Ashfordby, Blidworth, Askern, Highgate and Kinsley ... Old Hall too at a push(we are luckier than some).

:oops: fleesh u 4got easington u went the other week remember? lol :lol: I think if u go as far as easington u r only a stones throw from Horden, Dawdon and Seaham and another 40mins drive will get u to wallsend and coxlodge just thought Id let u know that fleesh. :lol:Tell your mum and we might see you up here a bit more lol :lol:

Nearly 2hrs to Easington Sherry lol :oops:

The only problem is that she works Sunday nights, luckily she got the night off when we went up to Easington. It's true though, you might see us around some more, but bear in mind when you go to Warwick ... you only get caught speeding ONCE :lol: :b

We have travelled from one end of the country to the other racing whippets......our favourite place has to be DINGWALL, we would set off at ten pm and get up there early morning.......tired but well worth it....that journey was about 550 miles for us and we would gladly do it annually....... :p

Gladly Bob. :p .......i think Kircaldy is about 286 miles from Retford and that venue is always a good one too. :D ......... :p brilliant evenings in the pub...... :cheers: and they do excellent meals too...can't wait :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
;) JUST WONDERING OF THOSE OF U GOING TO WARWICK FOR THE BEND CHAMPS, HOW FAR DO YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL? IS IT NEAR TO YOU OR A FEW HOURS DRIVE? GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL ANYWAY. I WONT BE THERE AS I DONT BEND RACE MICKEY WHIZZ AND ITS A TAD TOO FAR TO TRAVEL TO WATCH LOL :lol:

I just drove 900miles (one way) this past weekend to go racing on Saturday :- " . Stopped over at a friend's though, there and back, and got to visit my dog's siblings, and half-siblings. :teehee:

I'm thinking about doing another 800 miles or so (each way) next weekend. It's been a long winter :blink:

I'm also planning on a 1800 mile trip (each way) in the fall for the Nationals :eek:

But my "usual" racing area is within 500 miles.

This is an addicting sport :cheers:

;)my god poeta Uucertainly do travel a bit dont u? Where r u from? I know what u mean about it being a long winter. Our next big race is 3 weeks time the english whippet derby and Im very lucky as its been held at Newton Aycliffe which is only about an hours drive for us. :p

sherry said:
;)my god poeta Uucertainly do travel a bit dont u?  Where r u from?
I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Most of the racing is in the US. I usually keep to the northeast US but in the spring we get a little antsy to get started (and to get back in shape) so I'm more willing to venture a little further :)

Good luck at the English Whippet Derby :thumbsup:

Louise

IF THINGS TURN OUT OK AND I GO TO THE BWRA BEND CHAMPIONSHIPS NEXT WEEKEND, I HAVE TO TRAVEL 30 MILE TO CATCH THE BOAT AT LARNE, THEN A 2 HOUR FERRY INTO SCOTLAND FOLLOWED BY AN APPROX. 7 HOUR DIVE TO WARWICK. WHY ON EARTH ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN CONSIDER THAT IS BEYOND ME........ :D JUST GOES TO SHOW ALL WHIPPET FOLK ARE PLAIN DAFT MAD :cheers:

you all travel alot further than me. im about 5 mins from gin pit (a&t miners) and normally me and tony set a 2 hr max travelling limit to opens (not alot in comparison to some of you lot esp poeta)

Debbie came from peterlee to Stockton then to aycliffe to pick me up ,then to warrick and back to Stockton , aycliffe and peterlee on the Saturday , then peterlee to Ayr and back on the sunday , haven't asked her how many miles

Dee

I drove by myself from California to South Carolina for a race meet, then up the eastern seaboard of the US to Massachucetts, then all the way back to California. Total miles was over 8,000.00. Took me 5 days to get to South Carolina for the races and 6.5 days to drive home from Massachucetts doing about 11 hrs of driving per day.

Next week, a friend and I will drive 5 days to attend the race meets in North Carolina in conjuction with the AWC show.

The closest racing to me is 1.5 hrs away. (my local club).

It's a big country.

:blink:

Merril

Bloody hell Merril, i hope you have some luck after going all that way!

Back