The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How Much Exercise?

chase69

Registered
Reaction score
Hi my name is vicky and I have a 5 month whippet called Chase.He is very lively and we take him for a short walk 1-2 times aday and then a longer walk/run in the evening he seems very happy with this.He also spends alot of time in the garden mostly lying in the sun. -_- How much exercise does a little whippet need , I would be grateful for any advice. :))

Hi Vicky and welcome to K9 :D

It sounds as though Chase is doing fine with his short walks and longer evening run - he would soon let you know if he was tired. Mine always do!!

Sleeping in the sun is a well-known whippet past-time :thumbsup: so no worries there :teehee:

Any pictures of Chase? ...... we do like our piccies on K9 and would love to see him :cheers: :)

Awww pics are a must :wub:

I've only had my Tina, who's 16 months old, for eleven days now but I've noticed already that she lets me know when she wants to head back home :lol: Not that we go far - I hink our regular walk is just under two miles and we do that one first thing in the nmorning and at dusk once it's cooled down. Her main walk is in the afternoon (as long as it's not scorching hot sun) and tends to be at the beach so she can charge around like a fruit-loop on her long-line :lol:

What always makes me laugh though is the way she'll head off to bed (my bed usually!) when she decides she's had enough - I'll be pottering about doing ironing or watching tv or, more likely, be on the pc and I'll suddenly realise it's very quiet! Normally with dogs that means the little monkeys are up to no good and probably chewing something but not Tina - she's more likely to be flat out on the bed fast asleep! (w00t)

I like whippets...such a relaxing breed :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading in some kennel club literature recently that the recommended exercise was 5 minutes per month of age twice a day. For a 5 month old pup that would work out at 25 minutes twice a day.

Hope this is of help. :cheers:

chase69 said:
Hi my name is vicky and I have a 5 month whippet called Chase.He is very lively and we take him for a short walk 1-2 times aday and then a longer walk/run in the evening he seems very happy with this.He also spends alot of time in the garden mostly lying in the sun. -_-   How much exercise does a little whippet need , I would be grateful for any advice. :))

Thanks for all your advice ,just come back from very wet walk and he is running around likr a maniac :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
this is Chase about a month ago he has got skinnier since then

chase90.jpg

Aw, he's a handsome wee fellow - great name for a whippet too :thumbsup:

Back