The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

How do you think abandoning a dog affects its behaviour?

oliverrig

Registered
Reaction score
This is for a project I am doing for college and was just wondering if anyone had any views, opinions or expert advice on the subject. This is in terms of both psychological and physical behavior.

I think they feel anxiety because they do not know what to expect in their new environment. If the new environment makes them feel safe and secure then I think this helps them to relax more quickly. Routine is important to dogs so once they understand it they will relax more easily.

Kennel owners will often tell you that some dogs take 24 hours to settle while others take a week or more. It all depends on the dog. Some are independent characters while others are dependent on their owners company in order to feel safe. Being abandoned by their owner must make them feel stressed because they have lost that constant presence in their life.

Unlike us, though, dogs do not worry about the future so, if their new environment meets all their needs, they will be content to accept it even though we may know (if it is rescue kennels) it is only temporary.

I work in a rehoming center.

Very seldom do you get psychological problems due to being rehomed, Most animals do tend to settle quickly if they have food, warmth, companionship and play.

Physical can be different in certain cases, if you take on a new animal you do not really know it has any physical ailments, if you hurt the animal it will hold this against you making the initial settling in period a lot longer.

But it is amazing how many animals we get in for rehoming that come to us in unspeakabley bad conditions, that settle in to be totally happy in relatively short periods.

I do honestly believe that an animal knows when he\she will be happy with its rehoming.

We have a saying at our center "the animal will chose you, not the other way around"

I hope this helps and all the best with your project.

Shewy

Back